Projector for a Motorhome

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by the_sanguine, Nov 6, 2005.

1. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi. I know nothing about projectors. I have always been a bit put off by the crap pictures pubs seem to get when showing the footie. I'm sure they can produce a decent picture when properly set up though....

Anyway, I'm looking to put sky in a motorhome and am investigating what kind of monitor to go for.

One idea is to get a white blind over a side window and use it as a screen mounting the projector in a cupboard above the opposite window. Any thoughts on that?

2. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I would've thought that the throw would only be about 2m max, don't know if there is a projector capable of doing that especially with ambient light conditions in a motorhome. Maybe your best bet would be a plasma or lcd for that kind of situation? It seemed to work ok for Max and Paddy!

Stu.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    as i just posted in another thread, What Hifi did show off a new projector the other month that can project a big image (7 or 8ft) from quite close to the screen (as in a few feet i think it was) works using mirrors......i think they said the image was pretty good...

oh wait, it might have been What Projector, not What Hifi...doh....
    better edit my other post in a different thread...lol

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    cant remember who made it tho or how much, if i can find the mag i'll post again...

5. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I probably only need an image about the same size as a 32" screen because that would be about the size of the blind on the opposite window. Otherwise, I'll probably have to go down the LCD route.

6. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh ET-1 has a very short throw. 32in diagonal from .75m (30in), it's also cheap at about 380.

http://www.pvp.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/projectors/products.nsf/files/et1/$file/et1-B.pdf?openelement

Fan noise might be an issue in a small environment like that.

7. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is it possible to alter the size of an image - smaller or larger by using special lenses ??? Sorry if its a stupid question :suicide:

8. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That was my next question. If I could mount it in a cupboard above one window and throw onto a screen that doubles as a blind on the other window, that would be great.

If the projector is above the screen, how does it compensate so that you still get a rectangular picture and not like a triangle with the top cut off?

9. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  10. Menace

Menace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know Hitachi have a PJ that will throw a 76 inch diag image at 1.9m (cant remember the model sorry) Its is HDTV compatible (aparantly). I think it sways towards the presentation side of things with higher lumens but is still a pretty good all rounder, just wish I could remember the model.....dammit.
    Saying that....if your not too bothered about "dedicated" home projectors, most makers presentation PJs have short throws.
    Just depends on how indepth you are to detail

11. ji_

ji_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too little space, too restrictive on where you can mount the PJ, too noisy in such a confined space - go for a cheap LCD. The other althernative might be to mount it externally and project onto the side of the van!

Charge a few quid for other campers - make a fortune :)

12. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I must admit, I did think of that when the world cups on next year!

I did think if I get a projector, I could take a screen with me though and put it up in the awning.......OK till next night when I pop out for a beer and then come back and find out that the van's been done over