Projector, firestick and sonos

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by bhostasa, Oct 18, 2018.

1. bhostasa

bhostasa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys -

We recently moved to a new house and I've begun working on getting the movie room set up. In the old house, we had an Epson 8100, Yamaha receiver,5.1 surround sound and a cable box. I'm not planning on reinstalling the 5.1 surround sound and I'm planning on dropping the cable box and using the fire stick.

My new setup would be Epson 8100, Yamaha receiver, Sonos soundbar and firestick. Do you foresee any issues with this configuration? My plan is to plug the firestick into the projector, pull an HDMI cable from the projector to the receiver, and an optical from the receiver to the Sonos. One concern that I have is the number of remotes that will be needed. Any solutions for that? What else should I be thinking about?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

BH

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    'Do you foresee any issues with this configuration?' - unfortunately yes, it will not work!

SONOS PLAYBAR or BEAM - are fully active Streamer/Amp/Loudspeaker solutions which are not designed for use with an AVR.

Epson EH-TW8100 - is a Display device, it has no ability to send Audio Out to an AVR.

AVR - if you plan to retain the AVR connect the Firestick to the AVR and send Video to the Projector via an HDMI cable.

Loudspeakers - if you wish to retain a 'Soundbar' style Loudspeaker look at Atlantic Technology or Monitor Audio who supply passive 'Speakerbars', these can be 2, 3, 5 or even 7 channel.

Sub - ideally you would still want to use a Sub to underpin the Speakerbar.

SONOS - add a CONNECT to the AVR if you want music playback.

HDMI - how long will the AVR to Projector cable run be?

Joe

3. bhostasa

bhostasa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks joe.

Okay, the fire stick in the receiver makes sense. I’m still a little lost on the Sonos issue. If I use an optical cable from the receiver to the Sonos, it won’t work?

I would like to have to music playback in that room so I would purchase a connect. HDMI cable will be around 35’ long.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    SONOS - the PLAYBAR and BEAM are a combination of a Music Streamer, AV Amplifier and multiple Loudspeakers in a single chassis.

AVR’s - usually have one or more Optical Inputs not Outputs.

Connectivity - you connect your Sources to either an AVR or a PLAYBAR/BEAM not both. You could split the Optical Output of a Source and send it to both an AVR and a PLAYBAR/BEAM if you want two stand alone systems.

SONOS - you can add a CONNECT to any AVR to allow you to use a SONOS Zone Player with your AVR.

HDMI - 35’ gets you into tricky territory with UHD signals, we would be supplying/installing one of our RuiPro Hybrid Fibre HDMI Cables.

Joe

5. bhostasa

bhostasa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks joe. I guess the Sonos isn’t the right solution for me. How would I connect a regular sound bar with hdmi? Do I need a switch or audio extractor?

6. spocksbeard

spocksbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hey, welcome to the forums!

A soundbar that you would use with an AVR would be passive speakers, and would just need speaker cable connections (for Front Left, Front Centre and Front Right channels you would use 3 speaker cables, for Front Centre only you would use 1 speaker cable- then have separate Front Left and Front Right speakers).

Lots of different speaker manufacturers make these, 2 examples would be Monitor Audio (https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/soundbars/sb-2-passive-soundbar/) and (Artcoustic SL Multi Soundbar). Both of these would give you all 3 front channels in one unit.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    bhosta - just spotted your reply.

'Regular Soundbar' - there are 101 variations on the Soundbar theme. Some rely on the TV being the 'Hub' of the system with a single HDMI ARC or Optical connection from the TV to the Soundbar for audio playback, others have HDMI Inputs plus an ARC Output on the Soundbar to allow you to connect one or more Sources direct to the Soundbar and as spocksbeard says you also have the Speakerbar format where you use a conventional AVR to power a passive Front speaker which looks like a Soundbar and may have 2, 3, 5 or 7 drivers onboard with the option to add wired Surrounds plus an Active Sub.

Some Soundbars will include an onboard Sub others will use a wired or wireless Sub and the latest option is a Soundbar with integrated 'overhead' channels for Immersive (Atmos) audio.

Your Room, Room Layout and mounting options will play a part in selecting the most suitable option for you.

If you wish to retain the Yamaha AVR you go with the passive Speakerbar option.

Joe