1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector FAQ wanted

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wookieman, Jan 30, 2004.

1. wookieman

wookieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

Been looking around this site for a couple of days plus been googling all over the place, and I can't find a decent FAQ about projectors in general, i.e.

DLP v LCD v CRT advantages & disadvantages of each, I've got some ideas but is it best to just go and audition a few projectors ?

What various terms mean like 'screendoor' and 'keystone' mean ?

etc.

2. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I agree to a point Wookie - trying to find out the info is pretty difficult and the FAQs don't answer every question - however, if in doubt always post a message on here and someone will be more than happy to answer or alternatively use the search function in the top right hand corner and basically type in the key words you wish to find.

Altho I dont have a PJ (YET!) like you i've been trying to find as much info as possible...from my understanding:

Screendoor - is like looking though a mesh - or as some might say a pixel grid. For some it's highly off putting when watching a film, others can hardly see it at all.

Keystone - here's a good link i've just found, you might find it useful http://htrgroup.com/?tab=projector-docs&section=keystone

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Wookieman,

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Seems like you've got some reading to do........ there's a link to a thread comparing LCD/DLP/CRT in the FAQ at the top of the page..... Here it is.....

I recently posted a reply (28/1) to a question asking about keystone/lens shift/side shot..... Here you go....

The purpose of the forum is to share knowledge and enthusiasm (imo) but some further reading would help you get the basics... there's also a link to a very comprehensive Glossary of Terms in the existing FAQ...... Click here.........

As for Googling........ indeed, along with the "Search" button, Google is our friend. Typing in the words "projector + screendoor" and the first link is to a review of the AE100 on Projectorcentral.com........ a review which contains the following gem of information:

The next main link ( Here you go..... ) contains a description with pictures, and the link following that ( Click here..... ) has a lengthy description of the differences between LCD and DLP.

This is a friendly place, and while I find that people are generally happy to help, there's lots of stuff already and waiting to be found.

Sean G.

4. revo

revo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. wookieman

wookieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks you guys...

I got a lot of reading to be doing :)
    just been auditioning a Sony VPLHS20 well impressed

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can afford it, get it ;)

Echo the welcome. First thing to decide is your budget (for PJ & screen), then screen size you'd prefer (room layout etc...), then the throw distance range available to you (i.e. where can you place the PJ).

That should lead you to some models which you should try to demo but, as I've said, if you can accomodate the HS20 (long throw), you'll be hard pushed to find a better LCD, especially at the price.

Happy hunting :)