1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projector enhancement

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dd100, Oct 6, 2003.

1. dd100

dd100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my set up for about a year now and am getting itchy to improve it. I have a Toshiba DLP MT5 projector linked to a Pioneer 656 DVD through a Denon 3806 AV using component cables.

I would like to try and improve the picture. It is good, but feel it could be better; in particular the artifacts (is that right?) that I can sometimes see when there is a fast moving image on the screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions; is this the sort of thing that a scaler/deinterlacer etc. would do?

what sort of price would I be paying for these as well

TIA

2. dd100

dd100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know of any firmware enhancements for this projector and if so how I can get them?

thanks

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    De-interlacing problems are common with many projectors.

The answer is to improve the video processing by using a Scaler or HTPC system. Another route is to use a Progressive Scan DVD player or Line Doubler (iScan Pro etc) but that still presents the problem that the projector has to expand (scale) the image so it fills the display area. This could be two steps forward, one step back depending on how good the projectors own scaler is.

Cheap fixed rate scalers start at less than £150. The ProV and its clones have been popular. The performance is good for the price but won't beat an iScan. Look for s/h examples going for under £100 if money is tight. New iScan Pros are about £700, second hand they go for around £400- £450.

Proper scalers (Vigatec, QuadScan Centre Stage, etc) are quite a bit more sophisticated than the budget products. Features like Aspect Ratio Control and the ability to alter refresh rates to suit a particular display device make them far more flexible. They're also pretty easy to use. Budget £1000+

The HTPC crowd will be screaming save money, buy a computer. They're quite right. If you've got the time and patience you can put together a very respectable Home Cinema PC for less than the cost of a decent scaler. Trouble is they're still not as user friendly and you'll find yourself with a new hobby - HTPC tinkering ;)

4. dd100

dd100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive come across the iscan ultra which i think costs around £500, is this the sort of thing you were suggesting?

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yep. That's a line doubler with Aspect Ratio Control. Your projector would still need to scale the output from the iScan.

Regards

6. dd100

dd100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is the info for the scaler on the toshiba mt5

Faroudja DCDi: FLI 2200

3:2 Pulldown Yes
    Scan Freq. H (min) 21 kHz
    Scan Freq. H (max) 91 kHz
    Scan Freq. V (min) 50 Hz
    Scan Freq. V (max) 85 Hz

is this likely to be good enough?

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    What you are describing is the de-interlacer. Faroudja is considered to be one of the better manufacturers, your Toshiba uses their processing chip as a de-interlacer. That's what the DCDi logo means.

The chip is good. From memory I think it has 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown so should support both NTSC and PAL equally well. Perhaps the problem is the projectors own scaler.

The MT5 uses a 848x480 resolution DLP chip. That will work fine with NTSC films de-interlaced by the Faroudja. The resolution from the chip would be 480P - a perfect match for the 848x480 DLP chip. The problem comes with PAL. The de-interlacer will create a 576P image. This has more pixels than the DLP chip can display, so the image needs to be compressed. Are you seeing most of the artifacts on Region 2 and TV images?

To improve the performance of your projector you should look at a scaler or HTPC system capable of driving the DLP chip at 848x480 resolution regardless of the signal format and aspect ratio you are playing.

Regards