projector distance

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Geoffc10, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im planning on making my spare bedroom into a home cinema. its 11 1/2 foot by 8ft. Want to get the LCD Sanyo plv30 and a 5ft screen.
    If i sit 10ft away from the screen, will that be too close to view the film??.

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Hi Geoffc10. In theory, you should be fine. The general rule of thumb is to sit between 1.5x & 2x screen width away, although some break these rules quite happily! You may want to check out the good old Projector Central projection calculator to plan where you can put the projector.

I gotta say it though...have you considered the Panasonic PT-AE100E? Definitely worth a look if you're in the price range of the Sanyo you mention. 16:9 native format & pictures to die for (at the price - £1400). Search this forum for looooads more info. There, I feel better now :D

3. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the Panasonic model. Only reason for the Sanyo was that it got a good write up in HCC (Best Buy)

4. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geoffc10,
    If you only sit 1.5 foot from the wall, how will you be able to use a center surround (ES/EX) ?, there isn't enough space behind you to fit a speaker.

5. mysphyt

mysphyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10 feet from a 5 foot screen sounds about right. Gives you a 28 degree viewing arc, which is right in line with SMPTE recommended viewing distance/screen size recommendations (for cinemas, but since that's what we're trying to build....)

From viewing distance calculator.

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Geoffc10

The Panasonic is to be reviewed in the next Home cinema choice mag, you can't always trust the review's though.

7. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I agree with Tim....ignore the mags & listen to us lot :D :D