1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Connectivity Help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by marshy.dave, Oct 28, 2005.

1. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted this before but got no repsonse so I am trying again.

I plan to get a projector to replace my 42" plasma. I have a 22ft by 15ft room.

If I put the projector at the back of the room what is the best way to connect my DVD Player, XBOX, PS2 and Digi Box to the projector? Should I run each cable to the back of the room or should I movbe the sources to the back of the room and sound cables to the amp from the back of the room?

Is there a AV box available for projectors to avoid having multiple cables running the length of the room

Help please

Dave

2. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Bear in mind that depending on the projector you are purchasing, positioning the projector right at the back of the room could give a significantly larger image than you want. Take a look at the calculator at Projector Central, which will give you an idea of where the projector you intend to buy can be placed.

Placement of cables is really down to two factors, the room itself, and what's suitable for yourself. I chose the more expensive option, and got installers in to get everything setup. They fed the cables up behind the plasterboard and then down from the ceiling to the projector mounted there.

For speaker cables, i've used trunking round the door and then above the skirting for the front and centres. I've just got the rear cables running along the floor as the placement of seating means that they're not noticeable.

There are hub type devices available for the type of connections you are wanting to use, though don't have any experience of these. Sure one of the other forum members will be able to recommend one.

3. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate.

I dont have to worry about the amp and speakers as they cant be moved, its just the sources i need to look at. I am going for the Z4 and was hoping for an 8ft screen, any idea how far the projector should be placed?

4. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The throw ratio of the Z4 is 1.36-2.76:1 so take the screen width, multiply by 1.36 for minimum distance and 2.76 for maximum (allow a bit for manufacturing tolerances).

5. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You can mess with the calculator to see what combination of zoom you need

you can get a 8 foot diagonal pic from 9 foot back (max zoom) or 19 foot back (no zoom).

You could place the projector at 24 foot back and get 119" to 143" diagonal image too.

I got these values by messing with the following calculator.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLV-Z4-projection-calculator-pro.htm

6. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

The 9ft sounds good as I could put it on my coffee table in the centre of the room and just plug in the cables when needed.

Cheers

Dave.

Any idea whats the best screen to match this PJ