Projector connection over a long length

tony_yates

Hi All,

What would be the most suitable type of video connection to use for my projector?

The projector is an Infocus 4805 and has:

DVI-I (well it has an M1 connector, which I think is an Infocus propriety type)
component (the ybr one not RGB, although I think I can use RGB if I change the config\colour setting - I haven't confirmed this though)
s-video
composite

Currently I am using a 10m s-video connection and the picture is great, however, I'm looking to update my source so could use any of the better ones. However, I have read limitations on cable length for HDMI being 5m, although with expensive cables you can get to about 15m, but the thought of sparklies worries me.

As I'm moving house the length might be between 10-15m. Also at the moment we watch SD stuff (TV\DVD), although that will probably change, so a cable capable of HD material would be good should I choose to change projector, although the Infocus will accept HD it will downscale to it's native resolution.

Also, what are the thoughts of using a cable from the d-sub (VGA) port over this length?

cheers,
Tony

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You can get a HDMI or DVI adaptor for the M1 connection. I'm sure if you search in the projector forum, you will find out how/where to get one etc. If you're installing the projector in the roof at your new house, I would definitely install a HDMI cable (see bluejeanscables as they seem to have tested their HDMI cables up to cat 2 speed rating at 125ft, so 10-15m 'should' be problem free but that's no guarantee with HDMI). Just test the cable first before finalising the installation although this would be difficult if you don't have a 1080p source or projector right now. Best to do it once though for when you upgrade the projector :D . I use a 5m HDMI, VGA and component connnection on my projector setup and HDMI is by far the best. I have tested a couple of sources with different connections and it gives me the best picture. I have also used a 10m cheap component cable on a work setup and it worked fine.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello tony yates

M1 is not exclusive to In-Focus - though its rare enough that not every cable manufacturer/supplier supports it.

You can either use an HDMI>DVI or HDMI>HDMI cable + a DVI or HDMI to M1 adapter - I'd be tempted to go HDMI>HDMI + M1 as your unlikely to have M1 or DVI on your Next Projector (assuming you will upgrade the In-focus at some stage).

10m to 15m is pretty much the 'norm' for a lot of Projector installs - BetterCables and Octava both have cables that work up to 15m for all signals up to and including 1080p/60Hz.

A decent quality 'VGA' cable from the likes of Kramer will be fine at 15m - unless you have a really poor quality graphics card.

Joe

tony_yates

Hello tony yates

M1 is not exclusive to In-Focus - though its rare enough that not every cable manufacturer/supplier supports it.

You can either use an HDMI>DVI or HDMI>HDMI cable + a DVI or HDMI to M1 adapter - I'd be tempted to go HDMI>HDMI + M1 as your unlikely to have M1 or DVI on your Next Projector (assuming you will upgrade the In-focus at some stage).

10m to 15m is pretty much the 'norm' for a lot of Projector installs - BetterCables and Octava both have cables that work up to 15m for all signals up to and including 1080p/60Hz.

A decent quality 'VGA' cable from the likes of Kramer will be fine at 15m - unless you have a really poor quality graphics card.

Joe

Hi Joe,

That's great info. I'll have a look at BetterCables and Octava.

Cheers,
Tony

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom