Projector connection conundrum! (please help!...)

steve_546089

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of ceiling mounting my projector (Optoma HD700x) and running the cables within the ceiling. Therefore once the projector is all hooked up I won't be able to (or won't want to) add any further cables to it (I hate them being on display! :mad:)

So my question is, what is the easiest yet most versatile way to hook up the projector but with the fewest possible cables? Is there anyway I could just get away with 1 HDMI cable and 1 power cable? I will need to connect up the following:

Sony DAV-DZ260 Home Cinema DVD player (HDMI)
Freeview box (s-video)
Xbox 360 (HDMI)
Wii
PS3 (although at a later date but I will need the connection ready)
Laptop (although at a later date but I will need the connection ready)

This is my first projector and quite frankly I'm puzzled as to how I am going to connect all this equipment up without needing about 8 different cables coming out of the projector! :confused:

Would an AV receiver be any help??... I've never had one before though so I'm not quite sure if that would be the solution... I'm baffled!... :confused:

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Steve

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of ceiling mounting my projector (Optoma HD700x) and running the cables within the ceiling. Therefore once the projector is all hooked up I won't be able to (or won't want to) add any further cables to it (I hate them being on display! :mad:)

So my question is, what is the easiest yet most versatile way to hook up the projector but with the fewest possible cables? Is there anyway I could just get away with 1 HDMI cable and 1 power cable? I will need to connect up the following:

Sony DAV-DZ260 Home Cinema DVD player (HDMI)
Freeview box (s-video)
Xbox 360 (HDMI)
Wii
PS3 (although at a later date but I will need the connection ready)
Laptop (although at a later date but I will need the connection ready)

This is my first projector and quite frankly I'm puzzled as to how I am going to connect all this equipment up without needing about 8 different cables coming out of the projector! :confused:

Would an AV receiver be any help??... I've never had one before though so I'm not quite sure if that would be the solution... I'm baffled!... :confused:

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Steve

Yes an AV receiver that upconverts all of the inputs to HDMI would mean you just need 1 HDMI cable. I do exactly that with my Denon 1909.

Ok, that's great then. Would you be able to recommend a suitable AV receiver for my needs? Bearing in mind that it will need to have connectivity for all of the things mentioned previously (...and not mega expensive! :nono:)

Also, will I be able to just connect my Sony DAV-DZ260 Home Cinema DVD player to the AV receiver (via 1 HDMI cable) and leave the speakers connected to the DVD player rather than having to connect them to the receiver?

Many thanks
Steve

Also, will I be able to just connect my Sony DAV-DZ260 Home Cinema DVD player to the AV receiver (via 1 HDMI cable) and leave the speakers connected to the DVD player rather than having to connect them to the receiver?

Many thanks
Steve

No idea, but then why would you want to do that? Any amp you buy will be better than your Sony. As long as your speakers have normal wired ends on them just connect them up to your amp. Make sure they are normal speakers though within the same range of any amp you buy. 8ohm are the norm but others can be used.

As for which amp it depends what you call mega expensive. The Onkyo 606 can be had for around £300 ish. I think that upconverts to HDMI.

Last edited:
Have you thought about running some trunking/pipe? You can then pull in more cables in the future if you need to - assuming you don't forget to put a draw wire in it. Some 40/50mm waste pipe might do it.

Just put an HDMI switch on the other end of your 1 cable to the projector.

You can pick a 5 port swtich for less than £50 if you shop around and becuase its HDMI quality is pretty consistent.

An Onkyo 606 and an HDMI switch box for the extra sources would do most of it...laptop will be the tricky one if you don't have DVI/HDMI out

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom