Projector Comparison Help

dylangreene86

Novice Member
I recently bought a house with a theater room. The projector the house came with is a Panasonic PT-AE4000 and some of the specs are 1080p Resolution; 100,000:1 contrast ratio and 1,600 lumens. The projector is 10+ years old but still works great. That being said, we recently went to a home that was equipped with an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1040. Although newer, the specs seem very similar: 1080p; color/white brightness: 3000 lumens1; Dynamic contrast ratio — up to 15,000:1.

I remember the Epson having a flawless picture watching Avatar. We have almost the exact same setup in terms of screen quality/size, room darkness, distance, etc. My question is, they seem to have very similar specs, so am I missing something as to why the Panasonic's quality is noticeably worse? I don't want to go out and buy a new projector such as the Epson to increase quality if maybe the Panasonic is fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

noob0101

I recently bought a house with a theater room. The projector the house came with is a Panasonic PT-AE4000 and some of the specs are 1080p Resolution; 100,000:1 contrast ratio and 1,600 lumens. The projector is 10+ years old but still works great. That being said, we recently went to a home that was equipped with an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1040. Although newer, the specs seem very similar: 1080p; color/white brightness: 3000 lumens1; Dynamic contrast ratio — up to 15,000:1.

I remember the Epson having a flawless picture watching Avatar. We have almost the exact same setup in terms of screen quality/size, room darkness, distance, etc. My question is, they seem to have very similar specs, so am I missing something as to why the Panasonic's quality is noticeably worse? I don't want to go out and buy a new projector such as the Epson to increase quality if maybe the Panasonic is fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Lumen and contrast figures given by manufacturers should not be taken for granted.

Subjectively both of these projectors are poor from a picture quality perspective.

How large is the screen on you setup, and how many hours on the lamp?

What is worse on the Panasonic?

dylangreene86

Novice Member
Both setups have 110" mounted white screens. Using Avatar as a reference, at the house with the Epson, the quality was flawless. I remember trying to find flaws and couldn't. Very clear picture. With this Panasonic, it is grainy and not a clear picture, but watchable. Whether it's gaming or a movie, the image is just not as high quality.

dylangreene86

Novice Member
Both setups have 110" mounted white screens. Using Avatar as a reference, at the house with the Epson, the quality was flawless. I remember trying to find flaws and couldn't. Very clear picture. With this Panasonic, it is grainy and not a clear picture, but watchable. Whether it's gaming or a movie, the image is just not as high quality.

Also hours on the lamp I'm unsure of or how to check. Does that affect quality?

sim12

The Panasonic will have a softer image(Not as sharp), one reason is the fact that they have tried to beat the screen door effect.
It is possible that the grain you are seeing could be dust the panny will be some years old now.
As for a new pj such as a epson 7400 new or epspn 7300 second would be a significant upgrade and picture quality would be better in every single way. Better than those the obvious choice would be the epson 9400 especially if you have a proper theatre room.Perhaps a sellar local would let your demo in hour home that way you could compare the to your own pj.

noob0101

It's a good thing (I guess) that you think the HC1040 has a flawless image.

If the lamp has many hours the image is dim. It can be seen in the menu.

Maybe try to refocus the image on the Panasonic. Play around with sharpness on the Panasonic, and whatever settings in the source.

What is the screen in the current setup? Brand/fabric?

Source for the Avatar video?

What color are the walls?

dylangreene86

Novice Member
Setup is a fabric white screen. Walls are a dark burgundy. It does seem to look a bit better when I mess with the picture presets and switch between them to adjust the colors. I will try refocusing the lens as well and hope it might make a difference. I'm just so new to this I want to make sure I troubleshoot everything possible before forking out hundreds of not needed. I'll keep an update with what I find.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom