Projector Color Issues when using HDR

dcboii03

Novice Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain this color texture I’m getting from my projector? Currently have a Optoma UHD60 projector and I’m having issues when displaying certain content in HDR mostly like this picture below. I’m using my Xbox One X to view content. And I’m very curious as to why this is happening to me.

Should I upgrade my HDMI? Or is this just what I have to live with?

Attachments

• 4FF77076-8150-4D18-BF68-095C28EB8F2C.jpeg
    4FF77076-8150-4D18-BF68-095C28EB8F2C.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 145
Oh dear, that is nasty.
First make sure your HDMI leads are all Premium Certified
next make sure all the HDMI ports in the chain are set to their full/highest bandwidth mode.
Make sure deep colour modes are switched on and 10 or 12bit colour depth as well.
This needs to be done on all devices.
On the UHD60, make sure you are using the HDMI 2.0 port with HDCP 2.2, or you will only be getting 8bit colour through (which it kind of looks like you are). In your case in is port 2.
HTH.
Cheers.

Oh dear, that is nasty.
First make sure your HDMI leads are all Premium Certified
next make sure all the HDMI ports in the chain are set to their full/highest bandwidth mode.
Make sure deep colour modes are switched on and 10 or 12bit colour depth as well.
This needs to be done on all devices.
On the UHD60, make sure you are using the HDMI 2.0 port with HDCP 2.2, or you will only be getting 8bit colour through (which it kind of looks like you are). In your case in is port 2.
HTH.
Cheers.
Thank you so much for your help, this is the cable I’m using currently. I’m hoping it just isn’t capable of the 10, 12 bit color depth and I’m limited to 8. That would tell me that the projector is fine and I won’t need to return it. Truth is, when it works, it works beautifully. But I notice that ugly color in certain scenes and it’s very distracting. I’m hoping the fiber HDMI I ordered helps my problem. I’m not sure the UHD60 gives me an option to change the color depth from 8, 10, or to 12 to be honest. I’ll look again, but regardless thanks for your help.

Thank you so much for your help, this is the cable I’m using currently. I’m hoping it just isn’t capable of the 10, 12 bit color depth and I’m limited to 8. That would tell me that the projector is fine and I won’t need to return it. Truth is, when it works, it works beautifully. But I notice that ugly color in certain scenes and it’s very distracting. I’m hoping the fiber HDMI I ordered helps my problem. I’m not sure the UHD60 gives me an option to change the color depth from 8, 10, or to 12 to be honest. I’ll look again, but regardless thanks for your help.
Sorry, forgot to add the pic of the HDMI I’m using.

Attachments

• DA5C8AD0-5B91-4D02-A158-161D17C05F14.jpeg
    DA5C8AD0-5B91-4D02-A158-161D17C05F14.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 135
Sorry, forgot to add the pic of the HDMI I’m using.
The cable you have pictured is a good one but if it is unpowered and over 12-15 feet you are asking for trouble.
Getting a cable that is guaranteed to get a full 18Gbps signal over the distance you need is crucial.
Then you need to check settings in every device in the chain methodically and carefully.
It may just be a mismatch between what the pj is expecting and what is being sent.
Have you tried connecting the pj directly to the Xbox?
You are correct that the pj will not allow you to change colour depth. It is a sink device that just reacts to that which it is connected. The source and AVR are where you have to make sure the max bandwidth signal is being allowed.
Maybe ask your question in the UHD60 Owners thread on AVSForum too?
HTH.

The cable you have pictured is a good one but if it is unpowered and over 12-15 feet you are asking for trouble.
Getting a cable that is guaranteed to get a full 18Gbps signal over the distance you need is crucial.
Then you need to check settings in every device in the chain methodically and carefully.
It may just be a mismatch between what the pj is expecting and what is being sent.
Have you tried connecting the pj directly to the Xbox?
You are correct that the pj will not allow you to change colour depth. It is a sink device that just reacts to that which it is connected. The source and AVR are where you have to make sure the max bandwidth signal is being allowed.
Maybe ask your question in the UHD60 Owners thread on AVSForum too?
HTH.
I’ve done a lot of research, and it looks like the 35 ft cable is asking too much from this HDMI. I have a feeling this is the issue I’m running into. Plus the cable is not certified premium. Im hoping the Fiber optic cable I ordered takes care of this issue.

I’ve done a lot of research, and it looks like the 35 ft cable is asking too much from this HDMI. I have a feeling this is the issue I’m running into. Plus the cable is not certified premium. Im hoping the Fiber optic cable I ordered takes care of this issue.
Ideally, you want a fibre cable that is powered at both ends for that distance I would say.

Almost zero chance of this being cable related, it will be something setup or device capabilities related.

Almost zero chance of this being cable related, it will be something setup or device capabilities related.

Making sure your cables are fully capable is just due diligence. It also eliminates the variable.

I too am leaning towards it being a setting or combo of settings that are not in sync on one or more devices.

I’ve tried almost every possible setting from my Xbox One X and the Projector in tandem. I continue to get that terrible cloudy color vomit you see in the picture above. My only other option is trying the HDMI alternative. If that doesn’t help me, I have to return the projector and get something a bit newer. Sad because the this Optoma’s specs are nice. Just sucks that I’m dealing with this right now. Spending lots of money unfortunately.

Well, the failure modes for HDMI cables are extremely unlikely to ever cause posterisation like that on one part of the image yet have a basically fine image on the rest of the screen, so it is much more likely to be either settings or just a limitation of one of the bits of kit.

What does the X box one X say about the connected display? There's a "help" option that tells you a lot about the display connected and what the Xbox thinks are its capabilities. There may be some clues in there.

Does the projector show you an "info" page about the incoming signal format?

Both of those bits of information might help identify what is going on here. It is of course possible that the early HDR implementation in that projector just isn't very good, but you'd hope it would be better than your photo shows.

@dcboii03 Was going to say the same thing. I thought the xbox has a page where it reports what it thinks the capabilities of the attached display are.
These can be dramatically wrong if the xbox happens to be connected through an AVR that can't do 18Gbps pass through.
Try xbox directly connected to pj via a known working cable to see if that works and make sure you use the hdcp2. 2 port.
Checking what signal the pj says it is getting and comparing directly to what the source is sending, is usually very telling.

Last edited:
Looking at your picture again, it looks like the 10 bit signal is being down sampled to 8bit colour hence the awful posterization. It is possible this is happening in the pj. Does it accept rec2020 or can it only do rec709? If you set your xbox to 4k SDR, I suspect it will cure it and won't really look a lot worse than HDR.
Worth a go I suppose. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom