Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Projector choosing logic

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dither, Aug 3, 2004.

1. dither

dither

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm replacing my aged projector (phillips proscreen 4750) and was wondering if some of the knowledgable peeps here could check over my thinking.

First I don't think it's worth me getting a high end projector because I don't have a screen - I just project onto a wall (it isn't even white), also I have the lights on most of the time (we watch tv on it was well) and I'm not too worried about colour fidelity etc.

Second, I'm thinking not DLP - I have my projector in a cupboard and it gets a bit hot sometimes, and I noticed that DLP projectors seem to have twice the wattage of bulb for the same screen brightness (I'm guessing this means 2x the heat). Also I'd like it to be really quiet, and DLPs seem to be a bit noiser (in the same price range) maybe its because of the extra heat?

So that seems to put me in a familiar Z2, AE500, PJ-TX100 zone... although I wouldn't mind spending more if I thought I'd benefit (but I'm not planning on getting a screen or painting the wall).

The last constraint is that I project across the width of my living room (no other way to do it) which is 3.5m, and I only (!) want an 80" image. This rules out both the Z2 and the AE500 leaving only the PJ-TX100.

So did I miss anything? Am I deluding myself?

2. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i use my tx100 on a grey wall. The only thing i noticed when compared to using it on a screen is a slight loss of focus and perhaps a touch less bright. Looks fine though.
    It can be use with some ambient light but as you'd expect the picture will start to look washed out and flat if theres too much light.

3. dither

dither

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info danjos!

I've been researching some more and turned up a few more possibilities: the sony hs20 and the epson tw200 (or even tw500) can also project an 80" image at 3.5m.

Neither of these has be convinced at the moment though - the reviews of hs20 that I've seem seem to think its not as bright as the specs suggest (and its quite a bit more expensive than the tx100). The epson tw200 is also more expensive (though not as much as the sony), and although its got a great warranty (3 years) and better lens shifting that the tx100 it hasn't got a digital input. The tw500 does have a digital input, but that's alot more money!

Ah decisions, decisions...

4. dither

dither

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well for anyone following the saga :laugh:

It has been decided that the TX100 image is going to be too big (at its smallest setting for TV viewing) - there's a certain size above which the tweenies begin to look menacing :D

So now I've ruled out all of potential choices, and have to move upmarket. And the only options are the Infocus 5700 or the Sim2 Domino 20. Trying to sort out demos of these now...

While I'm waiting - does anyone know which is quieter (less fan noise) or these two? Any other differences that I can't get by reading the spec sheets and manuals?