Projector Choices What to do?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jackthalad, Aug 9, 2013.

1. jackthalad

jackthalad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey AV'ers.. long time luker looking for a little help with choosing projector. I have been looking around for a while, everytime i get close i find a reason to look at another model

I currently have a cheap Chinese LED unit, which for the money probably doesnt perform that bad, but not that good for my needs!

What am I looking for?
    HDMI input,
    Bright high lumens,
    ideally with zoom functions to help with distance changes..

What do i want to use it for?
    I really want to play games and watch movies OUTSIDE! I don't mean in direct sunlight, but if i could see it with moderate light it would be fantastic! (i fully understand almost all projectors perform better in the dark) i don't need 1080p or 3d, (but wouldn't rule it out) it will be mainly for Wii, PS3 and movies in the evening

This will be for occasional use at the moment (unless im blown away and i can convince the missus its they way forward)..

What i have been looking at?
    Optoma's mainly GT750 / HD600x / DS329
    Been looking at Benq's too, but optoma seem a popular choice

Max Budget £500,
    I'm not shy about going for older models to save money, the more i save the more i have to accessories (beer) etc

thank you in advance for any advice

2. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,557
    They won't be bright enough by far. You will need over 5000 lumens in the dark outside but probably around 7500 lumens with some ambient light. Maybe look at a rear projection screen with the light path blacked out.

3. jackthalad

jackthalad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply, not even the gt? (i know its only 3500).. I think 5k+ is well out of my budget! I wasnt thinking about playing in direct sunlight (would be cool tho), but under a decent gazebo?

maybe im trying to punch above my weight, i have seen a lot of places suggesting rear projection as a good way to achieve what i want, but i think the additional costs my rule it out

4. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,557
    I have considered making one with a frame and black out material but I need a brighter PJ first.

5. bilbosmeggins

bilbosmeggins
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    Just wondering whether outside is the greatest of ideas. I'm just thinking that if it's warm enough to watch a movie, it's warm enough for the critters to be out in force. 5000+ lumens would be one hell of a beacon to all the moths in the area :eek: