Projector choice

P

Pip_UK

After spending countless hours reviewing projectors,I have narrowed it down to five (this will be my first ever projector).

I will be getting a 7 foot Da Lite Imager screen (high contrast matte) with a viewing distance of 12 feet. Apart from DVD's I want to be able to watch cable tv (digital) without having to sit in the dark during daylight hours.

The projectors are -

DLP - SIM2 HT200DM (the only projector I have seen in action - nice picture but only when sat in near dark conditions)

LCD - Sanyo PLV 60

LCD - Sony VPL-VW11HT

LCoS - Hitachi CP-SX5500 (can't find any reviews on this projector)

DLP - Sharp XV-Z9000E

My first choice changes every day (I usually find another review) but overall it is the Sanyo model

Being a smoker - I am also worried about the potential dust problems which rules out all but the SIM 2 if this is a problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Pip

The best way to prevent smoke damage to any of the projectors would be to box it into something, with a glass front, this will also cut down the noise level from it.

Is the screen electric? As you smoke it will probably become stained so a screen that will roll away would be best.

Thanks Richard,

Does the boxed housing unit need venting?
Does the glass front cause refraction probs with the projector?

I'm still havent decided whether to have a fixed screen or electric. Da-Lite say their fixed matte screens can be cleaned.

I saw some screen shots comparing the Sony VW10HT and Sanyo PLV-60 projectors earlier ... the Sanyo colours were far more richer and the contrast a lot better (the Sony looked washed out!)

I also managed to find a customer review of the Hitachi SX5500 ... the guy said he was very pleased with the colour and resolution but had two dead pixels which Hitachi told him were within normal specs. He has to pay a restocking fee to the supplier to get his money back. I suppose thats always a risk if you buy off the internet.

Cheers

Pip

If you were to box in the projector it would need to be ventilated in some way. Gordon would be best to speak to about this.

Same thing with the glass, I have not heard of any problems with the glass defracting the light but I'd imagine there would be some sorts of glass/plastic to steer clear of (there always are).

As for projectors Douglas Quaid seems to be the man who is projector testing at the moment. Gordon usually gets his hands on them pretty quickly also.

Good luck!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom