1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector choice ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rip, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, im going to buy my very first projector soon, but there seems so many to chouse from. Someone told me DLP was the way to go but i have been hearing good things about the Sony VLP-HS20. I only really intended in spending around £1500, but i can get the Sony VLP-HS20 for £1526, & a little extra for a screen. Can anyone recomend a projector , either DLP or LCD for around the £1500 price range please.

2. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, seeing as no one was able to give me any recomendations, i have now orderd the sony HS20 & a 106 inch grey screen. Should be here thursday, & setup by the weekend :clap:

3. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi mate

Sorry no one appeared to answer your post but if you take a bit of time to look through the forum you'll understand that no-one can really recommend a PJ for you. There are countless threads on the pro's and cons of nearly every PJ available and the specs. The people on here can only give their own personal opinion based on their requirements for their PJ.

I have a Panasonic PT-AE500 and I love it to bits and I wouldn't hesitate on recommending it to anyone, but I would rather they came round and had a look at what they were going to splash out £1500 + £xxx for a screen. It's not everyones cup of tea due to the smooth screen technology, I like it for the clear picture, bright colours, excellent blacks and ease of use.

Your best bet is to go round to a good dealer who will let you demo a few PJ both LCD and DLP with your family or whoever will be watching it with you and spend a good few hours demo'ing each one, and then ask if there is maybe something you missed with your favourite.

Hope this makes sense.

4. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your reply stripe, but as i said above, i have already orderd now, & should be up & running by the weekend. I read a lot about the HS20 & everyboby who has one seems to be very happy with it, i did go to a demo on bank hoilday monday to a Sony center, but the conditions wernt right really, room was to light. But i was happy with what i saw. They wanted to do me a deal with the HS20, a 100 inch screen, & a 10 meter component lead for £2450, or £2300 for the demo HS20. But i orderd online & i paid £1786, inc delivery, i also found out the HS20 comes with a 10 meter component lead, which they wanted £100 for.

5. sharr72015

sharr72015
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rip

Let us know how you get on with your Sony HS20 as it is one on my shortlist and I would value your opinion.

Cheers
    Steve

6. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sharr72015, I will do that, i need to make somthing to hang the screen from the cieling with first, so i will be messing about doing that friday night/saturday & will give it a good viewing saturday night, then report back here sunday somtime....... :thumbsup:

7. sharr72015

sharr72015
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rip

Thanks

Steve