1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector choice - help Needed, Please Read!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oxfordguy, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Oxfordguy

Oxfordguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for months and reading every review I can find to choose a projector. Forgetting price for the moment, can anyone advise me as to a projector that will work well with a non Prog-scan DVD player?? As I have a 200Disc Sony DVD, I don't want to change.

Secondly, having answered the first question, can you tell me what my best choices are and why? Currently thinking about a PT-AE100, Sony VPL-11WHT, Phillips Munroe, Toshiba MT-7, Epson TW-100 and lastly the InFocus Screenplay. I would welcome any other suggestions.

I have read a long article on the joys of Progressive Scan, does it really make that vast a difference on a large image??

Thanks for taking the time to answer. This is my last hope before making a blind purchase.

regards,

Steve in Oxford

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if your DVD player isn't progressive scan I'd rule out the Panny AE100 straightaway. The Epson TW100 would be a good choice since it has Faroudja DCDi built in, to be honest I don't know much about the other projectors so don't feel qualified to comment. I've seen the Epson in action though and it did look very good, not cheap though but like I said stear clear of the AE100 with an interlaced source since it's deinterlacing isn't very good.

Cheers
    Andy

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course you could always use some external de-interlacer like the Iscan Pro with the AE100 which would be a far cheaper solution than the Epson...

Andy

4. Oxfordguy

Oxfordguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it not possible to use an external de-interlacer??

5. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
  6. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    First of all, don't make a blind purchase. I know it's a pain finding a dealer willing to demonstrate a projector but trust me, you'll be glad you did before spending thousands on something you might not like.

As for progressive, yet it makes a big difference, especially on large projected images.

I'm no expert on the other projectors but I can tell you the Sony VW11 has 3:2 pulldown on NTSC sources - so if you have a lot of R1 titles, these will look pretty good. It is a bit pricey at around £3,600 so it depends on your budget.

As Andy says, you need a progressive input on the Pansonic to get the most out of it. HCPC is the cheapest and best route here.

I've not seen an external de-interlacer working so maybe one of the professionals can chip in here with some advice.

Good luck... you won't regret it!

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,020
    This is sooooooo much about personal choice, preferences, visual acuity and so on. DO NOT make a blind purchase. PJs are a fairly expensive purchase, and the sheer size of the picture makes them less "forgiving" of shortcomings in the image than smaller images of any type. You really should invest time in auditioning, and buy from a retailer with an enlightened service &/or returns policy. Saving a few quid on a web purchase, say, is only something to do if you are VERY sure of yourself and prepared to live with minor flaws (eg the odd failed pixel on an LCD device).

I gather (from comments made by Gordon - a man whose opinions I trust) that the internal scaler/deinterlacer in the Sony VW11 is probably one of the best available inside a consumer projector. So this model is definitely one to shortlist.

Progressive scan (whether it is achieved inside the DVD player or in the PJ) has a huge beneficial effect on the projected image.

8. Oxfordguy

Oxfordguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice so far. Anyone know anywhere near or in oxford that i can demo some machines?? So far everyone I call either don't sell them, or have no demo facilities and are not prepared to do a loaner.

Also, Whats the panasonic like with an external device such as the Iscan?? Is this a solution for me?

Ideally I would like something that works well with Sky digital too as I don't spend mcuk time watching DVD's, but spend more time watching the movie channels.

Thanks again.

Steve

9. Oxfordguy

Oxfordguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any one got any advice to connecting the Panny to a sky digibox for good quality??

Steve