Projector choice esp. re ambient light

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jasonzz, Jan 5, 2012.

1. jasonzz

jasonzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Newbie question for you. I've been spending a bit of time reading about projectors because my wife is keen to get rid of our old 4:3 CRT telly and preferably have a blank wall there instead. This would have the added advantage of at last being able to play online stuff (BBC iplayer, youtube) on a big screen (well, the wall). Apart from that the projector would probably only be used to play DVDs. Er, and also I'd be very happy if I could play VHS tapes on it too, though that may have you all laughing heartily. :blush:

The big problem, I think, is ambient light. Our big wall space is right next to big patio doors. And even if I improve our curtains - which I don't really want to do, as blackout blinds for that large space will be expensive, I think - there's still the matter of a big skylight that is between where our sofa is and where the viewing wall is. It's quite quiet round the back of our house, so this space is very light in the day and pretty dark at night if the lights are off.

Would I be okay with a cheap-ish (under £500) DLP? I have seen reviews of projectors such as the Optoma DS211 and the more expensive Optoma HD600X-LV; the former is surprisingly cheap, and as for the latter I'm not sure if I need the HD or not. One link I saw in a post here showed a youtube video of an LG LED projector apparently running quite well with plenty of ambient lighting around. Also, projectors with integrated features such as sound and DVD drives (e.g. Epson EM-DH3) are tempting as my wife is keen to reduce the number of items in the living-room - though I know that for good sound, plugging in an amp is preferable.

Any suggestions/comments welcome... :)

Jason

2. toddy28

toddy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +685
    To be honest I think a smart tv would be a better fit for you as it will have things like I player built in and would be easier to setup and use on a day to day basis in your room :thumbsup:

That being said the optoma 600 lv is home cinema projector and would be better then the other
    As thats a data projector you also need to think about what you are going to connect to the projector (DVD player , sky , VHS ) so there will be leads and placement of the projector

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. jasonzz

jasonzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I myself like that, and I haven't seen it before, but it goes against my wife's criteria - one of which I mentioned (not wanting a visible screen, and other clutter) and the other of which I didn't talk about... she wants to be unable to surf channels. :eek: I am the sort of person who sits down to watch tv, then switches it off and gets up afterwards; but she wants a new system that stops her endlessly browsing through often very bad tv programs, which she finds she is wasting her time on.

So in fact all she wants is a computer attached to a projector - preferably the smallest one possible, her iPad. Watching everything over the internet is unfeasible with our current ISP (6GB limit per month) so I will have to change that. The fewer items in our living room, the happier she will be - hence the preference for a projector that can play DVDs and that doesn't have to have external speakers.

Jason

4. toddy28

toddy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +685
    If using an iPad you need a projector with hdmi and the hdmi adaptor for the iPad and there £35

5. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
    Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    You will definitely need a bright projector for those kind of viewing conditions, so a DLP or LCD is your best bet.

It's funny you should mention the iPad because I've just finished reviewing the Epson MG-850HD, it's about £650 is very bright and comes with a docking station for iPod/iPhone/iPad, as well as built-in speakers. It might be just what your wife is looking for.

6. TH1882FC

TH1882FC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I was just about to post regarding projectors being used in ambient light..

We have a boardroom at work and they were looking at getting a big 50 inch plasma/lcd/led in for the summer to host functions with clients showing the ryder cup, olympics etc, would a projector be suitable bearing in mind it will be used during daylight hours and the room is quite bright due to one side of the room being floor to ceiling glass although i sun ever hits the room directly (it hits the other side of the building).

7. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,041
    In that situation a projector would be pretty useless unless you purchased a special screen to combat all that ambient light.

The cheapest of these special screens would probably be a Draper ReactII which cost in the region of £1200-£1500 depending on size.

Allan at ideal a/v does these so speak with him if you want any more info or a demo.

Ideal - AV ... Home Cinema, Audio Video Equipment, Projectors, Screens, Speakers

8. jasonzz

jasonzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all the comments so far.

Steve, I don't think your review is up yet, is it? I am particularly interested in knowing how this projector fares with viewing online tv content such as BBC iPlayer. As it happens, I have been looking at a different Epson today, the EH-DM3. Reviews indicate that the integrated sound is quite good, although I'm not completely happy that I probably won't be able to make its DVD player multi-region. As toddy28 says (thanks!), I'd need an HDMI converter for the iPad. Froogle led me to a suspiciously good deal:

EPSON EH-DM3 Video Projector with DVD/DivX Player

That's over £100 less than Amazon but the company appears reputable (well, they have Amazon and eBay sections with good feedback).

I found a trustedreviews.com review of the Epson MG-850HD which says, 'Apple... limits the photo and video output from its devices to 480i'. So perhaps the missus' idea of using the iPad is not practicable?

I am as confused as ever. :)

9. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
    Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    I'm writing the review right now, or I would be if I wasn't posting on the Forums :)

10. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,059
    Just to add to this and Keiths post, the Draper ReActII screen we have installed in our new room, has been described 3 times this week as like looking at a giant Plasma screen.

It does get better with something like one of the new Epsons with 2200/2400 lumens and really would be very suitable in a boardroom enviroment.

But what I want to know is..........

shouldn`t you be working :D

Allan @ Ideal AV ;)

11. jasonzz

jasonzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if I should try to resurrect my thread or start a new one... will try here first.

I looked at reviews of both the Epsons - Epson MG-850HD and EM-DH3 - but realised that neither is going to output 720p (the former, due to the Apple 480p restriction, if we use an ipad - which we will want to if we buy a projector with an iPad socket!).

I've also now seen someone's home setup with an Optoma, on a shelf above their sofa along with small speakers next to it, and a laptop attached to it sitting on a nearby table. We are thinking of doing the same.

I read in another thread (http://www.avforums.com/forums/proj...vs-hd67-vs-hd66-vs-hd65-any-around-400-a.html) that the Optoma 600X-LV is very bright. Someone there suggests using a Hoya ND2 filter on one of those, albeit attached with blu-tack, so I guess I could do that if it turns out to be too bright once it's dark.
    Re placement, the walls in our living room are 12'4" apart. I assume that the projector is about 8" deep (measurements for the 600X, but not 600X-LV, are given by Amazon - 19.2 cm deep). So if I put a 600X-LV on a shelf and its lens is, say, 11'8" from the wall, a 16:9 picture will be 86" x 48", (98" diagonally across) according to the online calculator ( Projection Calculator Classic - Throw Distance and Screen Size .) That is just about okay, as 85" across is all we can fit on that wall without moving a big bookcase that I don't really want to have to move.

Just wanted to ask people who know if this sounds feasible... have I thought this through okay or am I missing something?

Jason