Projector Central: Z4 vs. H79 Comparison

n0s

Standard Member
Reaction score
Unbelievably great review for the Z4, surely it can't be that good can it! :D

I seriously doubt it...sanyo paying this reviewer??? :)

Yes it sounds a bit ludicrous. The Z4 seems to be an incremental improvement on the Z3, so I don't see how it could come close to a H79? Then again I haven't seen both side by side so I really don't know.

Just demoed the Z4 over here in Australia. Very impressive. First thing I noted was the lucious colours on display. Watched some of Ep 3 via progressive component. All very clean, no VB just a great picture. Then switched to Hi-def TV and saw 20 minutes of the Oz v West Indies test match which exhibited no VB, noise or otherwise. A great machine.
Slightly bigger than I expected but I would buy one, thats for sure....

Pete.

Interesting comparison. I saw the Z4 2 weeks ago and found the black detail very poor on Star Wars Episode 2 which seems to link with thier comment on its strengths being brighter films. I also noticed shimmer on the edge of objects during panning shots. Now much of this could be down to set up and source as I note a lot of people rave about the Z4 but I could not live with the image particularly as I'm as Sc Fi fan.

blimey thats one hell of a review,,HHMMM........... thinks maybe will get me aZ4!

The Z4 is such a complex beast to set up it possible to see it with poor black level, contrast and colour.

For instance if the the between the presets/iris modes in terms of contrast can be as much as 700:1 (assuming we are using the ones that count).

It is an even more comples beast to demonstrate.

The Z4 can be made good - very good. But so can the Z3.

Captain Benefit said:
Just demoed the Z4 over here in Australia. Very impressive. First thing I noted was the lucious colours on display. Watched some of Ep 3 via progressive component. All very clean, no VB just a great picture. Then switched to Hi-def TV and saw 20 minutes of the Oz v West Indies test match which exhibited no VB, noise or otherwise. A great machine.
Slightly bigger than I expected but I would buy one, thats for sure....

Pete.

And you had a decent DLP didn't you pete?

Seadog-Peter said:
Interesting comparison. I saw the Z4 2 weeks ago and found the black detail very poor on Star Wars Episode 2 which seems to link with thier comment on its strengths being brighter films. I also noticed shimmer on the edge of objects during panning shots. Now much of this could be down to set up and source as I note a lot of people rave about the Z4 but I could not live with the image particularly as I'm as Sc Fi fan.

Using the Living preset i have calibrated in - I can guarantee the Sci-fi quality picture in terms of ansi contrast coming from episode III was absolutely amazing.

Though I don't doubt a lot of this has to do with the non-subtle use of CGI lighting.

The outright black level is not brilliant though, but the intra-scene contrast is.

I watched Star Wars Ep. 3 last night on my Z4 and thought the picture was exceptional. Colours, Blacks everything. This machine really impresses me

I'd pretty much concur with Projector Central's review based on my week's ownership of the Z4 and having seen an H77 and other DLPs. The Z4's image is rock solid and bright scenes are fabulous. Artifacts are minimal. Dark scenes are a little more indistinct compared to the H77, though I still have some tweaking to do for my room conditions. If you check my thread on the Z4 it pretty much covers what they say (independantly, I should add!).

Squibbly

It makes for very interesting reading, i was pretty sure that my next pj purchase was going to be DLP but now i am unsure as it appears that the performance gap is pretty much closed. It is just the price gap that remains :confused: .

Not to mention with the Z4 you do not need to worry where the next rainbox is going to appear for you OR your guests, or if any of you will suffer from eye strain. I am finding the Z4 an "EasyWatch", very relaxing, if you know what I mean, compared to the H78 with DC3 that I had on Demo.

rdundas said:
I am finding the Z4 an "EasyWatch", very relaxing, if you know what I mean, compared to the H78 with DC3 that I had on Demo.

Ditto. It is a restful image. I'm so glad I didn't go down the DLP route in error without realising the eyestrain problems it gave me. The fact that the Z4 is so good has more than compensated for my feelings of exclusion from the DLP club!

Squibbly

And you had a decent DLP didn't you pete?

Yep. I had the Domino 30H connected to a Pioneer 868 via HDMI which was lovely, aside from the occasional smearing issue with left to right movement, which in my opinion, can be as bad as VB on an LCD once you have seen it.

In fairness however, I hardly ever saw it and it seemed to be down to the quality of the transfer on the disk rather than the machine itself, which stands to reason as it cost 4.5k!!!!

What the Z4, 900 etal do is remind us how far the home projector has come in a short space of time and effectively come down in price :) I know that when I return to the front projection scene, which I will as its too great not too, the choice for me will be superb. Could be looking at a Z5 or 6 by then mind you!

Oh how I miss my cinema :(

Pete.

Hey guys, now I'm really confused. I was just about to shell out £3K for a H79 having been told in just about every thread that it was unbeatable for the money and now I find this thread which suggests a £1300 machine (with spare bulb!) is as good and with no rainbow effect! We need some more debate on this from guys who have experience of them both. Seriously, except for a slightly lower black level why shouldn't we go for the £1300 Sanyo?

Jeff

Having spent a few minutes searching I see there are lots of other threads discussing this issue! I'm still really confused though!

Jeff

Jeff,

The best way to choose is undoubtedly to spend an afternoon or so at a dealer like http://www.discounttv.co.uk/homecinema.php
They will let you demo the PJs, one against the other, and maybe with the Hitachi TX200 etc. for extra comparison. That way you can see for yourself which display you prefer. Bring pictures (movies?) you like to look at etc. They will also give you good, hands-on advice.

For myself, I have a Z4 and I, and all who have seen its display in my wee "cinema", are incredibly impressed and delighted. Since I got it, I've watched more DVD concerts and listened to more music that I have in ages. Superb result: I don't think I've got this much entertainment value, euro for euro, out of many a purchase of recent years.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom