Projector catch 22 - advice required

AndyG1972

Novice Member
Hi All,

Hoping someone can assist with this. My cinema room is our living room. Projector is an aging NEC Multisync 1030+ and is ceiling mounted in a hush box about 11 feet from the screen. Our living room is limited in size so the projected image from corner to corner is 80 inches.

I also have a Hitachi projector that I picked up cheaply on an auction site (ED-S3170A) which I'd planned to fit in the hush box - it's much brighter (and projects a clearer image) however the projected image is a bit too big for the projector screen (even when zoomed fully out) and I can't move the hush box closer to the screen without messing up our living room ceiling :( I also can't replace the screen as it's all boxed in (seemed a good idea at the time to box in screen and projector) and would again mess up the ceiling!

Reason for replacing the 1030+... It's not bright enough for a start, the image isn't that sharp but the main reason is that lately it has developed a yellow ghost to the left of everything (as if one of the LCD panels has moved slightly out of alignment - which one I'm not sure anyone know?) It's not the cable that's causing the shadow as when I select 'menu' on the projector I still see the shadow on the projectors menu screens.

Ideally, am looking for a replacement projector with the same throw ratio as the 1030+ (which is stated as being 2.02:1 to 2.64:1) but I just can't find anything that will match the screen at the set distance that the hush box is at. According to Projector Central at 11 feet away from the screen the 1030+ can project a widescreen image 70" from corner to corner (I zoom slightly to achieve 80 inches) so I need something that will do the same (or can be zoomed in/out to display a maximum of 80 inch at a minimum of 11 feet)

Can anyone suggest anything? If not, anyone any clues on how I can at least fix the yellow ghost on everything on the 1030+? If it's a yellow ghost, any clues as to which LCD panel needs adjusting?

Cheers,

Andy

noob0101

@AndyG1972 what is the diagonal of the screen?

Have you considered a TV?

The only projectors with that kind of throw ratios are Epsons.
Use this calculator:
After inputting the screen dimensions, there is a section at the bottom called lens shift.

Something like the Epson HC2000 series or 3000.

Dimensions of hush box?

AndyG1972

Novice Member
Not too sure about the diagonal of the screen. Was purchased around 13 years ago. I think it might even be 4:3. I normally just pull it down until it looks 16:9 and then project on that. The 1030+ is natively 4:3 but I feed a 4:3 letterbox signal into it to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Yeah, we already have a TV in the room (42 inch). I did consider getting a bigger TV last year but the one we have is a passive 3D TV and they don't do them anymore (we have quite a few 3D blurays!) Also, it's nice being able to retract the screen into the enclosure and it all hides away nicely rather than having a massive TV hung on the wall 24/7. Size isn't an issue as the NEC 1030+ is quite big and bulky. Just measured the hush box, its 19" x 18" x 10" (L/W/H)

I'll have a look at the Epson HC2000/3000 series :)

noob0101

Not too sure about the diagonal of the screen. Was purchased around 13 years ago. I think it might even be 4:3. I normally just pull it down until it looks 16:9 and then project on that. The 1030+ is natively 4:3 but I feed a 4:3 letterbox signal into it to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Yeah, we already have a TV in the room (42 inch). I did consider getting a bigger TV last year but the one we have is a passive 3D TV and they don't do them anymore (we have quite a few 3D blurays!) Also, it's nice being able to retract the screen into the enclosure and it all hides away nicely rather than having a massive TV hung on the wall 24/7. Size isn't an issue as the NEC 1030+ is quite big and bulky. Just measured the hush box, its 19" x 18" x 10" (L/W/H)

I'll have a look at the Epson HC2000/3000 series :)

For 3D a DLP projector would be best since Epsons (3LCD) are susceptible to ghosting).

But few DLPs have the kind of throw range you're looking for. There are a few like the Optoma UHD60/65, and they are quiet. The HD39Darbee is not that quiet, and not sure if it fits in the box:

AndyG1972

Novice Member
Have just ordered an Epson EB-S41 from Littlewoods. I checked and double checked the throw ratio per Projector Central and it works out that at 11 feet from screen it can project an image that is 67" wide so will fit my screen perfectly as it's 68" wide. Anything further away than 11 feet is inside the hush box so will be ideal. 11ft 2" away gives a perfect 68" wide image. Happy Days!

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciate :)

Zone

Quite a bit cheaper elsewhere!

AndyG1972

Novice Member
Had a code for £50 credit to my account when spending over £100 so a bit cheaper than their catalogue price and I can pay it off over 52 weeks :)

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom