Projector calibrated

GrazzaB

Hi all

Just wanted to say thanks @Canary_Jules for an exhaustive (and for him probably exhausting!) calibration of my projector - what was scheduled for four or so hours turned into six and a half as he wanted everything to be just right, and of course he had to field literally hundreds of questions, which he did with nothing but patience.

To be honest I’ve always been a little sceptical of getting it done but the whole process was a real education for me. Obviously there is a cost attached which means that it’s not for everyone but personally I’m really glad that it came out so well with visible results for the better. The only drawback is that afterwards you’re looking for improvements in your room rather than the projector!

Didn’t know where else to post this so hopefully this is fine mods.

Cheers

Faffer

He sure does like to get the most out ..

He did my one and then we went back to check something for him only to end up getting an itch and spent another 40 mins tinkering to try getting that extra bit out. not that the eye can see but his equipment could and he likes to make sure you are left happy.

But yes he is good at helping out on what to do with the room and ending you on a path for even better.

Richard

Canary_Jules

Hi all

Just wanted to say thanks @Canary_Jules for an exhaustive (and for him probably exhausting!) calibration of my projector - what was scheduled for four or so hours turned into six and a half as he wanted everything to be just right, and of course he had to field literally hundreds of questions, which he did with nothing but patience.

To be honest I’ve always been a little sceptical of getting it done but the whole process was a real education for me. Obviously there is a cost attached which means that it’s not for everyone but personally I’m really glad that it came out so well with visible results for the better. The only drawback is that afterwards you’re looking for improvements in your room rather than the projector!

Didn’t know where else to post this so hopefully this is fine mods.

Cheers
Thanks for your kind comments. It was a pleasure to meet you! :)

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I’m sure some projectors benefit more than others with regards to calibration but I thinks it true to say that even the best will gain improvements and it’s always nice to know that you are watching the movie just as the director intended.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I’m sure some projectors benefit more than others with regards to calibration but I thinks it true to say that even the best will gain improvements and it’s always nice to know that you are watching the movie just as the director intended.
I agree with this factor plus I've seen budget projector £1k certainly benefits from a calibration. When its done right as @Canary_Jules and @Graham know, it usually takes eons of time too

If anyone decides to have a budget projector calibrated, these are the things that should be considered. You cannot always save the setting, you cannot better the its maximum black level and if the settings aren't available for calibration, then I'd never waste my money on having a calibration carried out.

What you gain is a much better graduations from grey to black and the extra colour detail if your can nail as near to D65 is quite something. I've seen JVC's which have had a basic calibration look dull in compassion to the cheap calibrated PJ

Of course, it like racing a Landrover Defender V8 against a Type-R civic. Yes the Landrover catches your eye to start with, but it will max out with the civic always coming out the winner in a drag race

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Of course, it like racing a Landrover Defender V8 against a Type-R civic. Yes the Landrover catches your eye to start with, but it will max out with the civic always coming out the winner in a drag race
What happens if this drag race is held in a field.o_O

GrazzaB

I agree with this factor plus I've seen budget projector £1k certainly benefits from a calibration. When its done right as @Canary_Jules and @Graham know, it usually takes eons of time too

If anyone decides to have a budget projector calibrated, these are the things that should be considered. You cannot always save the setting, you cannot better the its maximum black level and if the settings aren't available for calibration, then I'd never waste my money on having a calibration carried out.

What you gain is a much better graduations from grey to black and the extra colour detail if your can nail as near to D65 is quite something.
Yeah it’s quite something to know that the colours are as they’re supposed to be, as is the gamma etc. Really glad I had it done eventually, after 15 years of having projectors!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom