Quantcast

Projector bulb - real v fake

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Bulbs - you stick those in the ground to grow plants from :)

Lamps - we find the OEM Lamps are more consistent and reliable than the non-original parts.

Joe

Flashgordon1982

Bulbs - you stick those in the ground to grow plants from :)

Lamps - we find the OEM Lamps are more consistent and reliable than the non-original parts.

Joe
Yes that would explain my difficulty in finding a bulb 😂 thanks for that.
Do they make much difference to the picture ? My Epson one wants replacing. 260 v 100.

Luminated67

When the price of an Epson bulb/lamp is so cheap compared to others like Sony/JVC why would anyone even consider a non-OEM one?

Luminated67

Because I’d rather save 150 quid if i can! But obvious really.
however I don’t want to impede the picture.
Not sure if the lamp in the TW9400 is their dearest but it’s probably up there. If you intend to save £150 on it then the person you are getting them from must be giving you the lamp for free along with £45 in you hand.

Direct from Epson this lamp is only £105.50

Flashgordon1982

Not sure if the lamp in the TW9400 is their dearest but it’s probably up there. If you intend to save £150 on it then the person you are getting them from must be giving you the lamp for free along with £45 in you hand.

Direct from Epson this lamp is only £105.50

Attachments

aoaaron

wow so they price hike up the older bulbs? guess if new owners should stock up :D

noob0101

Because I’d rather save 150 quid if i can! But obvious really.
however I don’t want to impede the picture.
Buying non original lamps is like gambling. A bad bulb could damage the projector, be dimmer from the start, and/or dim quicker. The glass in the lamp casing can also wear out over time and the "bulb" is not the only thing that needs replacing.
So do you feel lucky?

Luminated67

mines a 6100 it’s a few years old. Its £258 on the epson site.
I see, in that case I do understand your question. I’ve read enough on other forums regarding JVC lamp replacements that the most important thing about a non-OEM bulb is that it uses the same bulb brand as the original.

I must admit on my £2.5K projector I would be willing to pay the difference if only for the added assurance but if the difference between OEM lamp and value of projector wasn’t hugely different then I too would be considering the cheaper option.

Nerox

For comparison, i spent £15 on a replacement lamp from China from my Optoma and it's been going strong for 6 months already. If they only last 6 months then it's still cheaper than buying crazy priced OEM lamps.

Didn't notice any change in picture

desibeo

Last time I looked, an official replacement lamp for my Epson TW3600 cost near £300. This wasn't my first projector and I knew the pain of buying lamps (which aren't guaranteed to last the 'guesstimate' age anyway). I spotted compatible lamps on Amazon for <£40. The one I bought first in fact lasted much longer than the original (think it was around 4000hrs) without a noticeable steep brightness decline -and I paid around £28 for it if I remember correctly. I've gone through around 4 more since and the price is now closer to £45-$50 each ...and consistency in brightness has been mixed, but 'good' I would say... ALL have been perfect when first fitted (afterall, the only thing they do is give brightness). One lasted around 100 hours before it dimmed markedly. Another lasted around 1000 hours. The current one has around 100 hours on it and is very good. ...The way I look at it, I've spent around the same price (or less) as a single OEM lamp over the last 4 years (or whatever it's been) on 5 lamps and gotten waaaaaayyyy more hours for around the same price (spread over that length of time). No contest.

kanerator

Standard Member
My current Epson projector is the Tw-2000 from 2006. at 14 years old I have replaced the lamp a number of times and have used both OEM and non name brands. The OEM always lasted longer. One non brand popped after 11 months. Epson's are cheap enough that the extra money is worth it to me.

Flashgordon1982

What I am finding is it’s making my projector beep - like a siren. Anyone else has this?
It’s making me close to selling it’s driving me mad.

desibeo

What I am finding is it’s making my projector beep - like a siren. Anyone else has this?
It’s making me close to selling it’s driving me mad.
Do you mean a high-pitched low-volume whining sound on and off? I've heard that on occasion from some lamps. I think some do it, some don't. Not sure if it's a warm-up thing. If you leave it on for an hour with a bright light onscreen, that might 'cure' it. ?

Trending threads

Top Bottom