1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projector & AV equipment cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by andimac101, Jul 8, 2005.

1. andimac101

andimac101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought myself a new projector and I wish to connect my digital cable box , dvd player and video to it. I realise the best quality is going to be through component connections- I have these on the back of the dvd and the projector (no problem!) but The cable box only has a scart as does my video, the projector has only one component vid input and one s-video.

What is the best way of connecting all three to my projector?

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,410
    Welcome to the forums - if your projector can accept an RGBs SCART input through the component + composite inputs then a SCART switch would allow you to get the best quality from all the sources. If you're not sure then ask in the LCD/DLP Projector forum about the model of PJ you've bought.

If you connect your VCR via composite it will give you as good a picture as you can get but the quality of the recorded VHS signal is poor and it will look very bad projected at any size.

AFAIK none of the UK cable boxes will output component or S-video so you will either have to feed RGB SCART to your projector (if it can take the input), use composite (which will look poor) or use a convertor to change the RGB SCART input to a component signal.

RGB SCART to component convertors can be bought from a few companies a search here should come up with JS electronics (?) and Keene IIRC.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    andimac101

Do you have an AV Receiver in your system? If YES - what signals can it switch? (If your not sure simply supply a model number).

As AMc says an idea of the projector you have will make it easier to make connectivity recommendations.

Best regards

Joe

4. andimac101

andimac101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks-

I dont have an av reciever (I currently use my hifi) and the model of the pj is a Benq 5120

I can find scart rgb converters- Is there someting I can plug all three into so I could leave just one componant lead permanently attatched to my pj ?

Would I be better off (pic quality wise) to change my digi cable for something else eg sky ? ( i pressume there must be some boxes that have a componant or s-vid output)