Projector as my main tv?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Graeme J, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Graeme J

Graeme J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Id use it for approx 3 hours a day on average, some days will be 0 hours, some may be upto 8.

Ive got about 650 to spend on a new unit. Would the cost of replacing bulbs make it daft to have as my main tv?

Also, what kinda unit could i get for my budget? (to be used for sky and xbox360)

2. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Some people will probably tell you it is bad for your eyes, or that you will get fed up of watching a big screen all the time, but up to recently I watched my Z3 3 hours a night easily, and never got fed up. I left the little telly to the wife.

My Z3 bulb is on about 3000 hours. 3 hours a night that's getting on for 3 years between bulbs. I think I will have got shut of my Z3 before it ever needed a bulb (in fact I will probably retire it to our little boy's room to entertain him).

You could get a Panny AX100, or a Sanyo Z5 for your sort of money, and that's just off the top of my head.

Hope this helps.

Paul

3. Tommy Angelo

Tommy Angelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a TV, only a projector. I use it for everything, gaming, general computer use, Sky HD and sometimes SD DVD.

I wouldn't recommend an LCD based projector for heavy use because my AE500 became unusable within 4 years because of the deterioration of picture quality. I have an Optoma HD70 DLP projector now and in theory it should never loose picture quality. For the first month or so I saw rainbows every now and then and they were a little annoying, but after a while I stopped seeing them and only ever remember they exist about once a week when watching. I'd never go back to LCD or anything much less than a 90" screen.

4. Graeme J

Graeme J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been reading a load of reviews & i think the Z5 looks like the one.

Is there anywhere you would recomend buying from? Possibly one that does price matching cause there is one on a site for 622 but the site looks a bit cheap, i prefer to go with bigger shops cause you usually get a better service..

Thanks for your first post btw, v useful :)

5. mikim

mikim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I have found a big screen to be tireing at times, but it's usually because I'm already knackered, and not because it's a big screen.

Main factor to consider is if the room you are going to be using the PJ in can be 'blacked out' with ease. Most PJ's are useless if the sun is shining, and even with reasonable curtains, bright sunshine will wind you up! If this is not an issue, then I would consider the PJ solution to be a good option.

Depending on the definition you want there are all kinds of PJ option... some will suit you better than others. Some people prefer the LCD (sharp but slightly less filmic picture)... ideal for TV and 360 though. Others prefer the DLP picture which I personally think is better for movies. Still great for TV and xbox. There really is little in it these days anyway.

New: look at an old stock Infocus SP 7200 (if you can find one) great DLP pic.

Sanyo Z5 - LCD - "claimed" 10000:1 contrast... and quiet too.

SH: I can recomend the Optoma H78/79, Infocus 7200, Hitachi PJTX 200.. all of these you will get for under £600.

Have you thought about the screen you want? This is crucial to the results!

6. Graeme J

Graeme J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even more replys! Lovly :thumbsup:

Just having a look @ the "OPTOMA HD70", if it doesnt need bulbs on a regular basis i would probably sacrifice some visual quality and go for this non lcd style of projector. Are there any established sites that would price match it? Ive found it for £599 free delivery - http://www.cvsmedia.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=3450

7. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi, I too own a Sanyo Z5 - absolutley amazing projector for its price, it really is ..... I got mine from Pixmania - it was around £700 .... at first I went on a cheap site in the uk who were selling it for £650 .... ordered it, turns out they didnt even stock it :rolleyes:

So took the plunge with a 'decent' retailer (pixmania) and got it for a bit more, arrived within 48hrs.

CVS media are also good too.

I'm reading about the optoma, it says the bulb cycle is 2000 hours, typical so I dont see what is so special about its bulb life? or am i missing something? :rolleyes:

8. Tommy Angelo

Tommy Angelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD70 lamp can be bought for less than £150 and in low lamp mode it is supposed to last 3000 hours.

I always use low lamp mode and it is plenty bright enough. I was blown away by brightness, sharpness, black levels and how vivid the colours were compared to the Pannasonic AE500 it replaced.

I really would not buy an LCD unless you plan on upgrading in less than three years, mine was looking awful after three years of use.

With my very limited experience of projectors I would say DLP in general gives a better picture anyway.

I think I recently found the HD70 for £570 somewhere but I don't know where yet. I'll let you know if I find it.

9. Collusion

Collusion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I agree completely with you Tommy. After having seen the Optoma in action it was impossible for me to go for the LCD anymore. That is because the HD70 has got an higher ANSI-contrast than those LCD rivals which happen to be bit more expensive than Optoma. The colours which Optoma produces are very natural and the blacks are also good.

10. Graeme J

Graeme J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £130 from the same company that are doing the cheapest hd70 i found too, maybe they would do a deal if both were bought together? Im assuming there is no harm in storing a bulb till it is needed?

11. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Ivojo tend to be good for the Sanyo's, I got my Z3 from there. Had great service from them when a repair was necessary. A Z5 is £643 from there, I imagine they would be responsive about a price match.

I presume you have Googled 'Sanyo Z5 price' and looked at the price comparison sites like shopgenie, pricerunner etc.

As other people have said, there are certain advantages to DLP that you just can't get from an LCD, but on the down side you are usually greatly restricted about placement due to lack of lens shift etc.

12. Resonance

Resonance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17

13. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62

14. Tommy Angelo

Tommy Angelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a popper gamer, I'm used to it. :D

15. EEC3

EEC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I just bought an ex-demo Sanyo Z5 from an actual shop for £599 with a 5 year warranty. Its had about 100 hours play on it. Also got a new Onkyo amp to plug everything into! :D

Had a demo in the shop and was very impressed - lots of flexibilty as well - can;t wait to hook it up!