1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Angle help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MrCoopz, Jul 5, 2002.

1. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i have a problem i have to put my projector on shelf on the wall, but i need to know if its ok to tilt it from the back (as shown in picture)

[​IMG]

i dont know if its ok to turn it upside down on the shelf but then i cant get to the buttons and i cant mount it on the ceiling because i have a ceiling fan

BTW my seating is under it so i cant put it any lower

2. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    As far as I know you can, but you will have to use keystone correction, which will probably effect the picture quality. Anyone else care to elaborate on this? (I`m just a beginner too)

Chris

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Which pj is it? Mine is just above my seats using a bit of Keystone to correct the image. The pic quality does suffer with 'any' correction. Mine is lifted a touch at the back to lower the image on screen else it would be too high. It's all compromise, unless you do go for the ceiling option.

You can see my set up in my links.

4. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I`m a bit confused as to why you didn`t mount the pj upside down on the shelf and put it higher up, or was there something in the way?

Chris

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Mr Coopz,
    Putting the projector on the shelf as in your picture is going to create a problem with focus as well as keystone.

Do you have a remote control for the projector? Is the projector capable of being inverted?

If the answer is Yes to both, then put the projector on its back and use the remote for set-up. If you need access to the projector buttons think about cutting a hole in the shelf.

Regards

6. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    General Skanky its a PTAE100

if i put it upside down would and switched it to "ceiling" would i lose quality then??

7. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I don`t think you would lose quality. The only issue might be cooling, but I can`t see it being a problem, I intended to put my AE100 upside down on a shelf when it arrives, so I hope its not a problem! :)

Chris

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I never actually thought to put it upside down!:rolleyes:
    I will try it now.
    Chris is right, focus and keystone is out as it is now, but not badly so and prog scan is really good. Only the sky S Video feed is 'off'.

Switching it to ceiling is no problem, it's just an inverted image, that's all. I'll let you know tomorrow how I find it. Cooling won't be any different as it's a rear vented system.

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What I have done is take away the wedge at the back. Picture quality does reach maximum and it's very good indeed on Sky, S Video. However, it projects a bit high onto my screen.

I don't think I'll turn it upside down, it'll look odd and I won't be able to get at the buttons on top. I'll have to think about dropping the shelf height. Butl ike I said, it's all a compromise. I'm not going to ceiling mount it, so it's either a higher image or drop it down again with the wedge and lose some pic quality/focus.

10. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    General Skanky whats ur picture like on sky??

Can u tell me ur settings and how u have it connected??

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    OK.

RGB converted to S Video.
    So S Video to pj.

Then just turned the sharpness down to -8 to get rid of the cross hatching and that's it. Brightness etc just tweaked until it's ok for our room. Used AVIA and Platinum discs for set up, but then 'adjusted' for my taste.:)

I personally think the picture is great.
    I've always had the slight defocusing too, but now going back to a 'non error/keystoned' pic, it's really good.

Depending on who you listen to and how much money you want to spend, it's as good a solution as any. I'd like to buy a unit that gives me prog scan component or equivalent for sky etc, but it's always cost vrs. convenience vrs connectivity. So for now I am more than happy and recommend it to all. And we use our pj as a TV the whole time.

Now just need the Lektropacks 'Magic Wand' to somehow lower the image on screen with no effort.:D

12. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    where do u get the AVIA and Platinum discs from??

13. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Searched with www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk for the best prices. But don't get too hung up on having to have them. Very useful tools but your own judgement will be good enough as you perceive it. Just set up as you like to see it.

Avia is very good indeed, don't really bother with the Ultimate Platinum disc, it's not as good. And before anyone says you must use AVIA, remember it's about £35 or so. It will give the ultimate set up, but if like me, the rules are there to be bent and I tweaked it more to how I like it.:rolleyes:

14. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Coopz..... I thought you had the Pro v like me? It`s very good for Sky, at leaste I think it is brilliant I get all channels off Sky.

15. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I do have ProV but my picture looks kinda grainy, do u use the same settings for ur PC as u do Sky?

16. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Coopz,
    I set up pro v by splitting the video out to tv and Pro v from my video recorder, I have tried all the settings on the Pro v ie/ the resolutions, not a massive differenc ,It`s a really really good picture.
    I was tired last night but tonight am going to experiment with the projector settings a little but doubt I can better this pic it`s better than I ever imagined very clear smooth
    Since I havent yet played with the projector settings I`m not sure what they are at ....I`ll let you know later tonight if I get a chance,
    By the way my mate has a Barco and he`s well impressed I reckon he`s gonna sell his and get one of these as my picture is far superior