1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector and Sky Issues.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MerMan, Jan 16, 2004.

1. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own an Epson TW-100 and have recently hooked up my Sky box (Sony VTX-S760U) using the Composite connection. The Sky box is located about 10M from the projector.

The method of connection used was Scart->3 Phono (Composite+L+R). A female to female phono connector was used and an audio phono cable (10M) made up the extra length.

The results were ok, better if I just used the projector's through mode which doesn't scale the picture.

If I spent some money, how would the picture quality improve improve and would it be worth it, if:

1) I used a proper Composite cable as opposed to the method above. In order to acheive this I would use a Scart->3 Phone cable of the required length to feed a signal into my Meridian 561 Surround Controller and then a Phono->Phone Composite signal to feed it to the projector.

or

2) I used RGB as a signal from the SKY box and used an RGB to 15Pin D-Type RGBHV convertor. In order to achieve this I would feed the RGB signal into an active Scart doubler (so I could feed TV), then use a RGB to RGBHV convertor and finally a VGA-VGA cable (10M) to feed into the projector.

or

3) I got myself a new Sky box with S-Video on it and used this as the connection method. This would feed into the Merdian and then from there into the projector.

Thanks in advance.
    MerMan

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    MerMan - composite will always be pants! S-video would be an instant upgrade. Using the JS Technology RGB to SVHS converter from the RGB scart output of your existing digibox, you would be able to pass thru RGB scart to the telly, and SVHS to the projector.

Technically you should be able to use the JS Technology RGB to Plasma VGA box to connect RGBHV as the projector spec allows for it, but I have no experience of doing it with this projector and it doesn't always work (some projectors have had problems dropping frames). Maybe someone in the forum has tried?