Projector and Screen in a non-light controlled space

Ethos123

Hi Everyone,

I've done lots of reading but hard to tell the answer to my question so your opinions would be very useful!

I'm trying to create a room that I can do some casual watching and the odd movie night. My watching is mostly Sports / Youtube and Netflix; no gaming. The room has a Velux and another window but I could put blackout blinds on them. The walls can be papered grey but I'd really prefer not to go super dark. And unless it is a movie night, I'd rather not have the room pitch dark with blinds fully closed etc - not really looking for full immersion. Viewing distance is around 12-14ft / ca 4m depending on how far back I push the sofa. I can fit a 100" screen or just a touch bigger.

Initial thinking was spend ca £1500 on a projector (perhaps Epson TW7100) and around £500 on a screen (perhaps Sapphire SFSC234) or something with a gain of 1.1ish.

Am I on the right track? Would the projector and screen be bright enough to enjoy in this way or would I better off with a 75 or 85" TV?

Thanks!

alebonau

Distinguished Member
with light in the room.. it all depends if its directly on the screen... indirect light ie not on screen is less impacting..

still

its best to do all can with the room...minimise any leaking ambient light in or it will impact any projector ... and from there it all comes down to how much compromise accepting off ...

a 100" screen is also not huge and if 1-1.1 gain is not going to throw off that much light either ...so as long as not bang next to reflecting surfaces be amazed how much can get away with ...

in my room i dont run a huge screen it is lowered quite a bit from the ceiling (reflective surface) its far an away from any other reflective surfaces (side walls) and floor is a charcoal carpet. all surfaces are majority soft non reflecting - curtains couch etc...I do have full ambient light control, so full block out curtains no leakage literally ..

but here are a few pictures of jvc and epson projectors with introducing some ambient light in the room..

this one a 10 year old 9000 series epson and here there are two low wattage lamps on in the room behind line of the screen. it looked like a big plasma... this was on lowest lamp eco setting so around ~16FL

A60BCAA8-3AAD-4246-9191-62AF0E07003E.jpeg

below jvc n7 also around 14FL (50 nits) luminance and with lights on in the room both behind screen low wattage and also in room above screen and in front from kitchen and dining with doors open... this is jsut taken with the iPhone and exposed for the picture on the screen so can see somewhat what end up with..

F3E87DC1-717E-4C68-AEE4-23DFE08F6D47.jpeg

below is with natural light entering back of room ...no direct but indirect from a light filled stair case behind of the room lighting up kitchen and dining ... and with doors at back open. no other light in the room if i closed the doors the black out blinds are shut and you wouldnt see hand in front of your eyes...

5D3FDD9D-AFD5-4667-AD54-45B69A32BF6F_1_201_a.jpeg

B2B4E184-5DEB-4CE3-B780-D8F6D529A33C_1_201_a.jpeg

so certainly its possible to get what are quite perfectly good enough images with typical lounge room conditions and not total light control...

this is all conducive to guest over not all sitting in the dark, enough light in the room for conversations and social setting and yet can enjoy as we do eg crickets, eurovision, olympics and other events with friends over ....

i would never do any serious watching this way ...eg movies and such ..where its full lights off and all block out blinds shut etc to best enjoy whats possible in the room :) but possible with some ambient light to accept some compromise when needed :)

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
with light in the room.. it all depends if its directly on the screen... indirect light ie not on screen is less impacting..

still

its best to do all can with the room...minimise any leaking ambient light in or it will impact any projector ... and from there it all comes down to how much compromise accepting off ...

a 100" screen is also not huge and if 1-1.1 gain is not going to throw off that much light either ...so as long as not bang next to reflecting surfaces be amazed how much can get away with ...

in my room i dont run a huge screen it is lowered quite a bit from the ceiling (reflective surface) its far an away from any other reflective surfaces (side walls) and floor is a charcoal carpet. all surfaces are majority soft non reflecting - curtains couch etc...I do have full ambient light control, so full block out curtains no leakage literally ..

but here are a few pictures of jvc and epson projectors with introducing some ambient light in the room..

this one a 10 year old 9000 series epson and here there are two low wattage lamps on in the room behind line of the screen. it looked like a big plasma... this was on lowest lamp eco setting so around ~16FL

View attachment 1606791

below jvc n7 also around 14FL (50 nits) luminance and with lights on in the room both behind screen low wattage and also in room above screen and in front from kitchen and dining with doors open... this is jsut taken with the iPhone and exposed for the picture on the screen so can see somewhat what end up with..

View attachment 1606793

below is with natural light entering back of room ...no direct but indirect from a light filled stair case behind of the room lighting up kitchen and dining ... and with doors at back open. no other light in the room if i closed the doors the black out blinds are shut and you wouldnt see hand in front of your eyes...

View attachment 1606795

View attachment 1606796

so certainly its possible to get what are quite perfectly good enough images with typical lounge room conditions and not total light control...

this is all conducive to guest over not all sitting in the dark, enough light in the room for conversations and social setting and yet can enjoy as we do eg crickets, eurovision, olympics and other events with friends over ....

i would never do any serious watching this way ...eg movies and such ..where its full lights off and all block out blinds shut etc to best enjoy whats possible in the room :) but possible with some ambient light to accept some compromise when needed :)
That looks great

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom