Projector and Screen for sound design, and mix room.

Mikkel Nielsen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all

First post here. Thanks for a great resource!

Im thinking og upgrading my room from a 42" LCD tv to an Epson TW3200 projector and an 92", 16:9 acoustical tranparent screen from Draper called Frame Vision.
My center speaker i placed in an akward position right now, and dosent translate very well to me, thats one of the reasons I would like to upgrade.

My room is 5, 5 meters long, 2,6 wide, and only 2.2 meters high. My mix spot is at apx. 3 meters from the screen (the projector will be at the same lenght).

Right now I import high quality DV-Pal Quicktime movies into my digital audio workstation, and work from there. This DV format wont change, the resolution can however.

I cant seem to try out the Epson anywhere nearby, and dont know about the picture quality etc, so Im a bit concerned of the following:

1. I will feed the projector from a Mac to the pj´s HDMI input. Any problems here?

2. Will the Quicktime format look bad, when blown up to 92"?

3. Since this will be a work area, I need a bit of light. How well does the TW3200 handle this?

Thanks alot for helping me out.

Best wishes,

Mikkel

1. I will feed the projector from a Mac to the pj´s HDMI input. Any problems here?
No, it will work fine

2. Will the Quicktime format look bad, when blown up to 92"?
If its a high enough bitrate/resolution etc. it will be fine, a high def mkv file will be fine.

3. Since this will be a work area, I need a bit of light. How well does the TW3200 handle this?
No idea about that projector but in general light will massively degrade an image. For working, itunes and general internet then ive found its fine with a fair bit of light in the room but for movies/games forget the possibility of using it in light.

Grey screens help with ambient light, though at the expense of image brightness (they're usually less than unity gain). If you can get a comparison demo between a white and grey screen with ambient light, you'll see the benefits.

Gary

The Epsom 3200 is a superb projector for the money, you will not be dissapointed with one of those.

I would have thought ambient light issues coupled with an acoustically transparent screen isn't a great combination - especially in the budget category price range of screens where some of the light may not be directly reflected back to the viewing position, add in your ambient light issues and you could be left with a problem.

i'm no expert in this field but its something worth looking into.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom