Projector and HDCP issues

RidleyDeckard

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just installed a Optoma HD36 and it is connected to my Denon AVRX2200W along with my Samsung UE55JU6400. The original 10m HDMI lead was slightly too short so I ended up running it via a Cat5 extender (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0130V7KCQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and to begin with it worked perfectly, however it has now seemed to have developed some HDCP issues. The Xbox was originally fine but just before I went to turn it off it lost the picture. Then while using the PS4, the picture just disappeared, I managed to remote in and disable HDCP and the picture reappeared. I also tried to patch in a Sky box and that won't display at all and now neither will the Xbox.

Would I be better ditching the Cat5 extender and getting a 15m HDMI lead?

Thanks for the help!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Your extender seems to be 4K compliant. That means it will likely have 4K capable hdmi output chip at the receiver end. 4K output HDMI chips put much higher demands on the cable and design and of the receiver in the display and the cable going to it, even if you are only sending 1080P. I suspect if you'd just used bog standard 1080p support extender you'd have better result. You could try using decent hi-speed 4K rated cable on the output of the cat5 extender to start...or just get a decent 15m cable with a redmere chip in it. monoprice cabernet cables are such a cable.

I've got another 1080p cat5 extender at home, but that one requires two CAT5 cables, but I'll give that ago this evening. I'll also try swapping the output hdmi lead into the projector as I can't remember what quality that one is.

If that doesn't work I'll try a 15m HDMI cable

I'll let you know how I get on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom