1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CARLOS, Dec 18, 2003.

1. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    I`m thinking of getting a projector a need a bit of advice.

I`m looking to spend about £2000 on a PJ but its needs to do a couple of things.

Firstly it needs to work from a short distance as its going to be in a small room (about 8-9ft from the screen) i was thinking of about a 6ft image, Does that sound about right ?

Also because i`m going to be sitting very close it needs to be as quiet as possible.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    For most digital projectors, you'll want to sit approx 1.8 times screen width away - i.e. if the screen is 5ft wide you'll want to be sitting 9ft away. If you sit any nearer, you'll see the pixel grid (screendoor) and you may find it very distracting.

You'll need a short throw pj for that size room, so try www.projectorcentral.com for throw info, and maybe ask a new question here for short throw projectors if you don't get many more replies to this one. :)

Gary.

3. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I've got a Z2 that's approximately 10ft from the wall I project onto. I also sit about that way away from the wall.

I find if I go much over 5'6" wide on the projected image I end up with slight motion sickness. I have to keep moving my head about to see the whole image and in fast moving scenes, this causes me problems.

Can't say that I've noticed the screen door effect, and if you do, a slight tweak of the focus should cure it.

4. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    :smashin:

Thanks for the replies, I have been reading up on the Z2 and it sounds like it may be the way to go.

Cheers