Projector Advice - Sony / JVC - Laser Or lamp

william149

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm after some advice on a upgrade i plan on doing.
I have a 4K Sony 500ES that i've been very happy with & still am to be honest, the picture still puts a smile on my face, but i have a scratch i need to itch.
Anyhow, some years ago when i planned my room i was struggling space wise & so the opening where the PJ is housed is just enough to slide my Sony in & out.
I can make some modifications to the opening now i have some time on my hands, but i guess it depends whether it's worth the hassle.
My screen is a 131" Draper React 3 (i can't drop it all the way so 2.35 is the max, other formats for viewing i have to compromise & fit the image to what the drop will allow), my ceiling is white & the carpet is a lightish one, there are windows to the left hand side, but once we close the blinds & put a curtain across the opening at the rear, then the room is pretty dark, i opted for the React screen after being advised to due to the wall / ceilings..
So my choices are -
Go with a new Sony, the 590es (unless Sony are dropping a new model this year) as i think that will just slot in & as mentioned above, been very happy with the PQ of my 500, or make some mods & go with a JVC, maybe a used N7 or wait for the new NP5
My next options are regards a laser model, again due to the size i'd need to make modifications to the opening..
Would a laser model really give me anything extra over instant on /off & maybe a slight bump in Lumens?
I don't really want to go to further expense of changing my screen unless you guys think it was the wrong choice in the 1st place, but i've always found it to give a good image, especially as the nights get lighter in spring / summer as getting the room to be completely dark is more difficult as our blinds don't completely black the room out & i still have the walls / ceilings to contend with.
I've added a couple of images so you can see the opening & the walls etc to help with my explanation
Cheers in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 114
I’m currently comparing a Sony 760 vs a JVC NX9.

If you have outboard dtm then the decision is difficult, if you don’t, the jvc wins hands down.

I’m currently undecided which one to keep, both have their strengths, neither is perfect, but I have a lumagen doing all of the dtm work.

Hi

As you’ve got a large screen, budget permitting I’d take a look at the NZ7 as by all accounts it’s a real light cannon. However, by having a white ceiling and light floor, in all honesty you’re going to lose so much of the black level that the PJ is capable of, even with an ALR screen. So I’d also consider at least getting a large very dark rug to put on the floor

Go with a new Sony, the 590es (unless Sony are dropping a new model this year) as i think that will just slot in & as mentioned above, been very happy with the PQ of my 500, or make some mods & go with a JVC, maybe a used N7 or wait for the new NP5
definitely in this bunch it would be np5/n7 :) erring to the nz7 if wanting more light :) dynamic tone mapping will pick these JVC over the sony

I have recently upgraded to Sony 590es from JVC 500R. Absolutely beautiful and enjoyable picture quality. I haven’t compared with JVC N5. JVC may be better for black but I do not miss any black or PQ while watching Sony.

Hi Guys
I'm after some advice on a upgrade i plan on doing.
I have a 4K Sony 500ES that i've been very happy with & still am to be honest, the picture still puts a smile on my face, but i have a scratch i need to itch.
Anyhow, some years ago when i planned my room i was struggling space wise & so the opening where the PJ is housed is just enough to slide my Sony in & out.
I can make some modifications to the opening now i have some time on my hands, but i guess it depends whether it's worth the hassle.
My screen is a 131" Draper React 3 (i can't drop it all the way so 2.35 is the max, other formats for viewing i have to compromise & fit the image to what the drop will allow), my ceiling is white & the carpet is a lightish one, there are windows to the left hand side, but once we close the blinds & put a curtain across the opening at the rear, then the room is pretty dark, i opted for the React screen after being advised to due to the wall / ceilings..
So my choices are -
My next options are regards a laser model, again due to the size i'd need to make modifications to the opening..
Would a laser model really give me anything extra over instant on /off & maybe a slight bump in Lumens?
I don't really want to go to further expense of changing my screen unless you guys think it was the wrong choice in the 1st place, but i've always found it to give a good image, especially as the nights get lighter in spring / summer as getting the room to be completely dark is more difficult as our blinds don't completely black the room out & i still have the walls / ceilings to contend with.
I've added a couple of images so you can see the opening & the walls etc to help with my explanation
Cheers in advance
How interesting the projector section..do you have a larger picture of that area?

Hi

As you’ve got a large screen, budget permitting I’d take a look at the NZ7 as by all accounts it’s a real light cannon. However, by having a white ceiling and light floor, in all honesty you’re going to lose so much of the black level that the PJ is capable of, even with an ALR screen. So I’d also consider at least getting a large very dark rug to put on the floor

The room is a compromise & as dark as my wife will go with it, hence the ALR screen, so i'm kinda stuck with the room as it is, my only options are another projector.
The only thing putting me off a JVC is now ive had another look at the work i'd need to do for it to fit, im not sure i'd get it looking good enough afterwards without stripping all the plaster off & having it all re skimmed, which is really going to push my wife's patience i think.
I'm starting to lean towards a Sony for this reason & perhaps a Lumagen, but not sure i really need one as never had one before so not sure what spending another £2k or so will bring to the table.

@william149 could you consider a dark (black really) rug for when you’re showing films which you can roll up for other times? I know that sounds like a hassle but I could not believe the difference it made when I put a black rug over a dark grey carpet. Previously the floor lit up with bright material, and now it stays black. It adds a massive bonus to the contrast.

@william149 could you consider a dark (black really) rug for when you’re showing films which you can roll up for other times? I know that sounds like a hassle but I could not believe the difference it made when I put a black rug over a dark grey carpet. Previously the floor lit up with bright material, and now it stays black. It adds a massive bonus to the contrast.

I could, but just more hassle keep moving it around & storing it & not sure i'd benefit much, we have a darkish grey one there at the moment.

I'm more interested in the projector side of things as like i said earlier, the room decor is what it is, i don't think there's room for negotiation with my wife, so not going down that route.

What are peoples thoughts on the screen, stick with the React or go for a white scree

The room is a compromise & as dark as my wife will go with it, hence the ALR screen, so i'm kinda stuck with the room as it is, my only options are another projector.
The only thing putting me off a JVC is now ive had another look at the work i'd need to do for it to fit, im not sure i'd get it looking good enough afterwards without stripping all the plaster off & having it all re skimmed, which is really going to push my wife's patience i think.
I'm starting to lean towards a Sony for this reason & perhaps a Lumagen, but not sure i really need one as never had one before so not sure what spending another £2k or so will bring to the table.
the N series JVC's are absolute monsters. You'll need to do a fair bit of re-jigging to fit one in, I'd also be very wary of the amount of space needed behind it to allow for airflow which is where it get sucked in from.

The lumagen will be a complete game changer with your Sony.

React screens are good for what they are, your room is pretty bright, so they could help significantly.

the N series JVC's are absolute monsters. You'll need to do a fair bit of re-jigging to fit one in, I'd also be very wary of the amount of space needed behind it to allow for airflow which is where it get sucked in from.

React screens are good for what they are, your room is pretty bright, so they could help significantly.
I hadn't realise the JVC's sucked air in from the rear, that kills that idea then really..

The Sony sucks & exhausts from the front, so looks like the JVC was a non starter then...

Does anyone know if Sony will be updating their models this year or not?

Ive measured up the Sony laser pj & i can probably mod the gap enough without too much hassle, so i may still go that route & add a Lumagen further down the line, my main priority at this time is a projector though

Thanks again for the advice from everyone..

I hadn't realise the JVC's sucked air in from the rear, that kills that idea then really..

The Sony sucks & exhausts from the front, so looks like the JVC was a non starter then...

Does anyone know if Sony will be updating their models this year or not?

Ive measured up the Sony laser pj & i can probably mod the gap enough without too much hassle, so i may still go that route & add a Lumagen further down the line, my main priority at this time is a projector though

Thanks again for the advice from everyone..
Depending on how I get on this week
Comparing the NX9 to my Sony, I may be moving my 760 on very soon,

Unless I’m wrong I think it’s only Sony bulb PJs that are front air only, but I think their laser ones are rear and front just like JVC. I’d recommend buying a Lumagen first, see how you go and if space / cabinets can’t be tweaked maybe go with best Sony bulb (front air only) based you can go.

How much smaller is the sony?

JVC N7 = 505x500x234 @ 22.5kg (need 20cm rear, 30cm sides, 15cm top)
Sony 590 = 496x464x205 @ 14kg (needs 1cm rear, 30cm sides, 15cm top)

Depending on how I get on this week
Comparing the NX9 to my Sony, I may be moving my 760 on very soon,
Am i right in thinking the Sony vents out of the rear, if so then that buggers that up aswel, looks like a bulb pj is my only option now, bugger as really wanted to go a laser pj

Unless I’m wrong I think it’s only Sony bulb PJs that are front air only, but I think their laser ones are rear and front just like JVC. I’d recommend buying a Lumagen first, see how you go and if space / cabinets can’t be tweaked maybe go with best Sony bulb (front air only) based you can go.
Yeah thanks for that, would a Lumagen bring my Sony 500 anywhere near a new pj, or do i still need to go a new pj route?
We watched some tv last night on it & if im honest im still wondering how much better a new one would be, maybe it's an age thing & my eyes aren't that good anyway....

JVC N7 = 505x500x234 @ 22.5kg (need 20cm rear, 30cm sides, 15cm top)
Sony 590 = 496x464x205 @ 14kg (needs 1cm rear, 30cm sides, 15cm top)
Mine in a 760 which is bigger than the 590

Am i right in thinking the Sony vents out of the rear, if so then that buggers that up aswel, looks like a bulb pj is my only option now, bugger as really wanted to go a laser pj
It needs no clearance on the rear.

Mine has be wedged right up against the back wall with no issue. Happy to give you a demo if you wanted to see it in action.

It needs no clearance on the rear.

Mine has be wedged right up against the back wall with no issue. Happy to give you a demo if you wanted to see it in action.
Does it vent out of the rear?
If so mine is fully enclosed so there would be nowhere for the heat to escape other than the front, i think i'd be concerned of it overheating..

It does, but doen't mention how much space it needs to not be restricted.

Sony.jpg

For me I wanted to move on from JVC x7900 to a native 4k, say N7/NZ8, but for me the throw was too long added to the PJ also being bigger and needing the vent space at the rear meant I could not fill my screen or needed a smaller screen. The Sony for me is a real contender as I think has more flexible throw ratio, but would need to factor in a Lumagen for HDR to bring it up to / beat JVC DTM standards. I think the Sony without Lumagen is behind JVC N7/NZ8..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom