Projector advice for living room, jvc, epson, optoma

mjbarnard

Had a discussion here last year about viewing non 4k sources on 4k (capable) projector and got very useful information. Various factors led to the living room refurb being delayed so havent ordered yet. All in order now so a supplier is ready to provide the equipment. All is sorted except haven't quite decided on projector.

It is a large living room (5-6 metres long) which will have venetian blinds as well as blackout blinds available. Nearly all watching will be sky, and downloaded or streamed content on amazon fire, apple tv, local NAS etc. Priorities are picture quality, colour gamut, blacks etc. No games or 3d.

Looking at the Optoma UHZ65, Epson LS10500 and JVC 5900 or 7900 (but not restricted to these). Quite attracted to lasers because of the noise and heat, but not fixated on it. Get the impression that the JVC are regarded extremely well here, the Epson is good and laser, but has limitations and unlikely to be updated for over a year. Optoma has good specs and brightness, and some very good online reviews, but quality and build are widely questioned.

Any comments would be appreciated and let me know if further information required to comment.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
The JVC X5900 which I have can give excellent images in terms of blacks, colour & clarity. The X7900 is a step up but most benefit would come from a batcave environment. I previously had an Epson TW9300W which was good but when I moved to the JVC I realised just how good black & Vibrant colour could be achieved. Speaking to a Calibrator about the Optoma & he was very unimpressed.

mjbarnard

Thanks Paul. Having spoken to a couple of forum sponsors I have excluded the
Optoma.

It's now a straight choice between the X7900 and the LS10500. I am finding it's a difficult choice because I am very attracted to the advantages of laser, but believe the JVC would be my preferred model. I know advice will be to view both and choose personally, but I am not sure this will help. I suspect both will give great pictures and for our kind of general viewing either would be fine. Also I'm not sure that viewing the two models in another environment would produce the same results in our room, our ambient light, our screen, our viewing distance etc. I suspect I'd be happy with either.

So it's really a decision about the technologies. I prefer the JVC from what I have read here, against the convenience of laser. The convenience being not only because the pj will be very nearly above where we are sitting, but also because we will essentially be using it as our main 'tv' so will likely clock a lot of hours in evenings and weekends. Not sure how much difference it makes but I also note the jvc is a more recent model than the Epson, as well as the obvious differences in spec.

Thanks again.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Thanks Paul. Having spoken to a couple of forum sponsors I have excluded the
Optoma.

It's now a straight choice between the X7900 and the LS10500. I am finding it's a difficult choice because I am very attracted to the advantages of laser, but believe the JVC would be my preferred model. I know advice will be to view both and choose personally, but I am not sure this will help. I suspect both will give great pictures and for our kind of general viewing either would be fine. Also I'm not sure that viewing the two models in another environment would produce the same results in our room, our ambient light, our screen, our viewing distance etc. I suspect I'd be happy with either.

So it's really a decision about the technologies. I prefer the JVC from what I have read here, against the convenience of laser. The convenience being not only because the pj will be very nearly above where we are sitting, but also because we will essentially be using it as our main 'tv' so will likely clock a lot of hours in evenings and weekends. Not sure how much difference it makes but I also note the jvc is a more recent model than the Epson, as well as the obvious differences in spec.

Thanks again.
For me the decision was easy as the Epson laser was out of my price range. I’m really happy with my X5900 even in my less than ideal room (light walks, ceiling and carpet) the black levels, colour contrast etc. are great, however one thing to consider in your case if being used as a TV is the price of JVC lamps at circa £430 a pop which is crazy considering Epson can sell there’s at circa £100. I think in your case maybe Laser is the way to go but ask a few members on the relevant thread to get a better opinion, good luck finding your ideal PJ, not an easy choice!

iamsludge

You get a bulb with the X5900 which should last around 3 years for 3 hours a night. A second bulb for more years or more hours a night at £430 might still be less in total than the laser?

My last JVC X3 bulb has done 3,000 hours and isn't dead yet (I haven't installed the new one I recently bought from IdealAV yet).

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom