1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector advice Contrast v Brightness

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Peter Baker, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I am upgrading froma panasonic PT AE100, and am in need of advice.
    My room is large, but unfortunately includes a wall to wall of glass doors, 35 feet long. As a result, I get a lot of ambient light, although this does become less of an issue when it's dark outside.
    I have a 7' wide OWL 16:9 screen.
    I am considering the Sim Domino 20 or the Infocus 5700.
    Both have the same chip, but the Sim has 2000:1 contrast, and 800 ANSI lumens, whilst the Infocus has 1400:1 contrast and 1000 ANSI lumens.
    Which do you think is the best option?
    Many thanks

2. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful about comparing manufacturers specs especially on the brightness. A lot of pj quote different brightnesses from each other but once calibrated they are very similar, for example the AE300, Z1 and HS10. The quotes are not for cinema black/quiet mode with filters on which is how you'll view your films.

I've read that a 10% difference in luminosity is almost unnoticable.

The caveat goes for the contrast ratio as well epecially as a "punchy" project will seem to have a better cr.

I think you should audition both of them if you can.

Otherwise, in my opinion, if the specs are correct I'd go for contrast ratio for more detail as 800 lumens is plenty bright enough and a higher lumen output with lower cr will have very poor blacks.

Cheers,
    Cal.

PS Dlp pj's with a wrgb color wheel will have high luminosity in "presentation" mode, but far less in cinema mode with the white segment switched off.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I've seen the Domino 20, and it's a very nice pj indeed, but it was in a darkened room.

As Cal said, try a demo. Better still, see if you can get a home loan to see which one suits you better. Not sure who do home loans though.

http://www.projectorsareus.co.uk/ have the Domino 20 (and 300 Link) on demo (along with a few other pjs), so if you don't mind a journey to Horsham, could be worth a visit. You can always give Jeff a ring and have a chat.

Gary.

4. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks very much for your responses. It is the fact that it is a non-darkened room which concerns me. With my panasonic. I get pretty good watchable pictures from DVD at night, albeit with screen door, soft focus, and visible pixellation. However, I would love to be able to watch sport during the day. I think both pjs will give me much better TV pictures, but still wonder about CR/ Brightness.
    Projectorcentral, in their comparison of the Infocus with the NECHT100 suggest that contrast figures become largely irrelevant when ambient light is present.
    I have seen both projectors, but in a dedicated HT room. In this context the Sim had better blacks, but the Infocus seemed to have more natural colours, and possibly better definition.
    I guess home trial is the only answer!!
    Regards

5. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    what about investing in some blackout blinds - possibly on a motor connected to something like the sim2?

CaM