Projector 1080p or 720p?

slipshaney

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im looking at getting one of the above plus a 100" screen

Complete NOOB at thsi, but was looking at the dated Optoma HD700x (can get it second hand) or else the Optoma HD200

Just want to get some peoples opinions/help as to whats best for me

The room that its going into is 8.5ft wide X 16ft long

Thanks in advance

With a 100" screen depending on how close you will be sitting a 1080p would be best.You could sit between 9-12ft to get the best from a 1080p where 12-16ft would be best with 720p.

To get the best from either resolution you would need to feed it with the best signal possible (1080p bluray or HDDVD)200x should be available for £400-500 used or even maybe a refurb (there have been a few available on ebay very recently).

Don't forget you need sound so do you already have a sound system or not, in which case you will need an amplifier and anywhere from 2 speakers (stereo) to 5.1 for a full system to get the best from your a/v experience.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/optoma-...=206-1234&pageLevel=&sc_cmp=pcp_GSF__206-1234

Last edited:
thanks for the quick reply - I appreciate it

So you dont think the 700x would be much good for my room? Would I be better off getting a full HD mode - any suggestions?

I would ideally hook the projector up via HDMI to an amp, and connect everything else up to the amp then. I already have a 7.1 system in another room but would probably just get a 5.1 system to start (if I can afford it!)

Last edited:
I did not say the 700x would not be much good in your room just that 1080p will be better if viewed at the distances I stated.

If you sat at the back of your room (15ft approx) there would be little difference in sharpness between the two projectors.The real advantage of the 1080p is that as long as playing 1080p source material you can sit much closer which in effect gives you a much larger screen.

As far as to any suggestions the 200x or 230x from Optoma is about the cheapest you can get for a quality 1080p projector new.You would need to spend nearer £900-1000 to get anything new that is better.

would anyone recommend any other places to buy the optoma 200x? im based in Ireland

Mitsubishi HC3800 DLP 1080P Home Cinema HDMI Projector

A good alternative to the 200x would be the Mits HC3800 although £100 more (£649) is a very good quality 1080p DLP projector and comes with a 2 yr warranty.They do ship to Ireland for £9.95, one thing to check as all these are dlp machines is get a demo of any dlp to see if rainbows are an issue to you.

Thanks again - ive just been chatting to a retailer that will ship the Optoma HD23 to me for £750. how would this projector fair?

Personally I would say the Mits is the better buy with a slightly better image quality than the Optoma.Does the Optoma have a 3yr warranty as that would be the only reason for getting it over the Mits but still an extra £90 (allowing for the £10 shipping fee).

The HD23 has a lot more lumens (brightness) so if you want to view the projector during the daytime (curtains closed) but still some ambient light in the room the Optoma will be best but at night the Mits will look better and has better black level performance.

Thanks kbfern, Ill check out the warranty on the optoma and look at the Mits in more detail

Thanks for all your help - its pretty confusing stuff when you get into it!

Thanks for that - anyone know if they deliver to IE?

Also, have you a link for the tesco ebay store?

If Tesco deliver to Ireland (and I imagine they do), they have the HD200x for a smidge under £550:

Buy Optoma HD200X Full HD Home Cinema and Gaming Projector from our Home Cinema Projectors range - Tesco.com

I picked mine up from them reconditioned for £500 with (seemingly) no hours on the bulb. I'm guessing it was just sent back as they didn't want it. There are no refurbs available at the moment but you could keep an eye on the tesco ebay store to see if they come up.

If you look in the tc regarding delivery they do deliver to NI but not internationally so only UK which I can only means a no to Southern Ireland.

ah no problem - thanks anyway. if anyone wants to buy me one and send it over that would be great!

Last edited:
I can get a hd200x for around 550 euro. Good deal?

It does have 118 hours on the bulb...

ok im torn between a second hand HD200x for around 580 EURO, and a new HD230X for 715 - any thoughts!?

Has the 200x got any warranty and how many hours has it done?

I dont think it has a warranty left. I have the serial number and was thinking of calling optoma to see if they can check this for me

118 hours on the bulb.

looking at a 100" 16;9 Matt White Glass Beaded screen too

Don't get the glass beaded screens they are generally poor and can have a tendancy for hot spots on the screen.

I would think the 230x may be a better option as it has a full warranty I would assume.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom