projectiondesign avielo optix

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Anyone read the home cinema choice review by Alvin Gold ?

At £23,000 it has rainbows, a little greyness and is a single chip device measures only 1718:1 contrast ( my old 100 measured 22,000:1 by this magazine) has some visible digital noise and gets 5 stars ..........

I am sure this is the best single chip dark chip 4 projector but £23,000 doesn't feel like 5 stars ? Or am I missing something ?

Alvin Gold has held my respect since the days he reviewed two channel amps like the majic Robertson 4010 in the 1980's but either all measurements are meaningless or integrity is in question

I saw this projector at the Bristol show and it was difficult to judge with the very challenging environment. But a measured contrast ratio that low doesn't feel like £23,000 well spent ....

Neil Davidson

AVForums Sponsor
There is a lot more to a good image than just the contrast ratio. The image brightness is another important factor and in this case you have upward of 4000 lumens if you want them (ie for a very big screen).

These units have an adjustable iris which allows you to drop the brightness way down and get the contrast way up if required as well. I haven't studied the review to see if this was actually done during testing though.

The problem is that £23k gets you playing with the big boys and having seen more than enough of this model I would have to say that it would not be my choice and anyone considering it to be any type of reference (other than as a really expensive single chip based on a core design that has been around for years) really needs to get some better references.

To give an idea of my point of reference I had the pleasure of supplying one of the units in a three way shootout between a Digital Projection Titan 700, Christie HD10KM and Sim2 Pro5000. This took place in one of the most imposing houses I have ever seen and made up a stack of projectors worth well over £200K! I can assure that seeing this lot gives you a pretty good idea of just how good front projection actually is.

I am afraid that single chip projection is not really for me. When compared with three chip DLP it really is the poor relation. Coming back to the first line of this post, there is a lot more to a good image than just contrast. Resolution is another of those parameters that it is easy to get carried away with when considered in isolation. My personal preference is to go for 720P 3 chip rather than 1080P single chip when you get over the £15k mark. The tradeoff is that you just need to be a little further from the screen!

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
There is a lot more to a good image than just the contrast ratio. The image brightness is another important factor and in this case you have upward of 4000 lumens if you want them (ie for a very big screen).

These units have an adjustable iris which allows you to drop the brightness way down and get the contrast way up if required as well. I haven't studied the review to see if this was actually done during testing though.

The problem is that £23k gets you playing with the big boys and having seen more than enough of this model I would have to say that it would not be my choice and anyone considering it to be any type of reference (other than as a really expensive single chip based on a core design that has been around for years) really needs to get some better references.

To give an idea of my point of reference I had the pleasure of supplying one of the units in a three way shootout between a Digital Projection Titan 700, Christie HD10KM and Sim2 Pro5000. This took place in one of the most imposing houses I have ever seen and made up a stack of projectors worth well over £200K! I can assure that seeing this lot gives you a pretty good idea of just how good front projection actually is.

I am afraid that single chip projection is not really for me. When compared with three chip DLP it really is the poor relation. Coming back to the first line of this post, there is a lot more to a good image than just contrast. Resolution is another of those parameters that it is easy to get carried away with when considered in isolation. My personal preference is to go for 720P 3 chip rather than 1080P single chip when you get over the £15k mark. The tradeoff is that you just need to be a little further from the screen!

Neil, Thanks and I agree regarding Contrast, especially as no one seems to quote ANSI as well as full on-off. However the black level as we know will correlate reasonably well to FTL, Lumens in room and this ratio. Meaning when it is supposed to cut in to full dark I suspect the screen will have a strong glow.

Reading some US posts there seems to be a target FTL moving above the 20 ? Interested in people's views on this.

As some people will know I strongly back subjectivity over simply judging on measured spec. Why because as you note the Projectiondesign unit is bound to be significantly better than most single chip DLP's and a lot of others too I am sure. Look at the spec and measurements and this does not come through......

I had thought that at least Contrast ratio had some strong correlation to image black levels and punch..... Maybe the unit has a very high ANSI contrast ? The trouble is with adjustable fixed IRIS's they usually improve on off contrast but reduce ANSI...

I guess it's Demo, home dem will be a definite for me when I look to replace the 100 in 2010. The 750 is not far enough ahead and the top sims are £30k !

binbag

I saw this projector at the Bristol show and it was difficult to judge with the very challenging environment. But a measured contrast ratio that low doesn't feel like £23,000 well spent ....

If you saw the one used in the Denon demo room the previous year then you would have a better idea. The image from the Earth HDDVD was simply one of the most realistic images that I have ever seen projected.

I've since picked up one of their Action Model Ones and while there are elements that could be better it puts out an image that it just so much more faithful than many of the ones I've had or seen since. Whether its the colour management or the quality of the lens or the fact its my first DC3, I couldn't honestly say but it has a depth and realism that has actually dropped my jaw and I'm always noticing new things in stuff I've watched many times before.

I thought the JVC demo had the best projected image at this years show.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom