1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projection Tv

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nnhhmin, May 30, 2004.

1. nnhhmin

nnhhmin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys, can kindly advise me what projection Tv is worth buying??? :confused:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This is just a personal opinion.

I have never, ever, seen a CRT-based RPTV that displays a picture that I could enjoy watching. Not one, not anywhere.

The Sony Grand Wega LCD-based TVs are a different story; sure, as with all things, they have their weaknesses, but they are (IMO) streets ahead of any CRT item I've ever seen.

3. raymen

raymen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Toshiba is the one too look for.

if you have seen the tosh with a good callibration,WOWWW.

The picture true component is just fantastic...

Mvrg,
    Raymen

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    nnhhmin,

Be aware that NO projection tv will give a display that matches a good direct view crt.

If you don't mind sacrificing quality for quantity, then fair enough.

Good luck in your search.

5. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Thomson 40KW613 and a Philips 32" Pixel Plus and i think
    the Thomson DOES match the Philips in PQ Quality although doesn't overtake it, would rate them fairly similar in quality obviously the Thomson is 10" larger.

To your question
    CRT RPTV's worth buying
    Thomson or Toshiba
    unbeatable prices and enough quality for the screensize

LCD RPTV's
    definitely SONY Wega
    no real weaknesses apart from the LCD flaw of the poor black levels

don't know much about the DLPS so won't comment on them.

worth buying imho depends mainly on your budget and what you want
    for your money, generally speaking tho i think the above three mentioned are good buys.

6. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not true, a good calibrated Toshiba or Sony RPTV CRT set can display a picture equal to a direct-view set....

However most RPTV sets sold in Europe doesn't reflect the quality as most of them come as they are from the shop.

Of course you see all artifacts in the picture the larger it is, but that's not the fault of RPTV sets but due to the SD broadcasts in Europe....

My Toshiba 57" makes most people that come jawdrop with how detailed the picture is compared to their own 32" direct-view set....

So it's up how well calibrated it is, not the technology, but moste often you end up just tweaking and tweaking to get more and more out of the TV.

7. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As i prefer quality over size i think the Wegas are not good at all.

The blacks in the picture of the Wega is grayish/black and not true black which means you don't get the 3D dimension of watching a LCD RPTV.

Also i don't like seeing the pixels that the picture are made of which you will see if you take notice of it.

Not to mention dead pixels that can make you go crazy.

However there are some good things with a LCD RPTV, that is you get perfect geometry and focus out of the box, no tweaking as with a CRT RPTV based set.

Nice advantage, but i prefer a natural picture with deep blacks and that's what my Toshiba gives me.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Go look at a SIM2 grand Cinema RTX and tell me that!
    Loewe Articos is good as well!
    Thomson do some very nice ones but quite rare on UK high street, Stay away from very cheap LCD RPTV as they are not very good, the DLP sets are the best at the moment!

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I think some people are still drawing their conclusions of RP TVs from memories of watching England in the 1986 and 1990 World Cup down their local boozer.

(The England footy team may not have improved since then but RP TVs certainly have :D )

That or from what they've seen in their local <add well known 'out of town/ex-High St electrical retailer' here> !

10. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    nnhhmin,

My apologies that I seem to have hijacked your post!

It was not my intention to start an argument on the relative merits of CRT vs RP!

Obviously we all have our opinions and I was just expressing mine in good faith.

The limitations of RP are there for all to see, it's a just a question of how important these are compared to the advantages.

The main thing is to end up with something you are happy with, and the best way to do that is to use your own judgement.

As I said originally, good luck in your search!

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I have a Panasonic 47PT10 CRT RPJ. Very little talked about RPJ but a gem nonetheless because unlike other RPJ's it comes loaded with HD CRT's . Out of ALL the RPJ's this one produces a truly breathtaking picture which will defo change your opinions of what RPJ can do.

When watching terrestrial, picture leaves a lot to be desired. However plugged through cable box, the picture is stunningly awesome. It is almost like looking out a window. It really is very very good. A friend who has the Toshiba 56" (which also has a great picture) is always in awe when he comes around.

RPJ's get knocked all the time, but it's all in the calibration and if you keep them out of direct sunlight you are sure to be impressed.

If you really must have the "best" picture then CRT televisions are still way ahead in those stakes.

I have a CRT, LCD, PJ and a RPJ in my house, the Panny RPJ is fantastic and I cannot knock it at all.

12. nnhhmin

nnhhmin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone.....will go searching.. if i counter any problems will ask you all again...