1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projection, TV or Standard Projector??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by r.vernon1, Apr 20, 2002.

1. r.vernon1

r.vernon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Hi chaps,

Just wondering if you could all give a bit of advice.

I need to buy some sort of projection device, be it TV or a normal projector on to a large screen. There isn't really a budget in mind, just after the best deal, and best value for money. ANu suggestions. It will be for a small club, themain room where it will be is about 40m square (roughly). Now if I get a standard TV, will it be too small for people sitting at the back to see or are there too many limitations. If I get a normal projector, will I have to buy the screen seperately, if so how much do they cost? Also are they easy to install? Plasma is out of the question, as that will be too small. Remember, I am really after the best money can get, but would like a good deal for the money I will be spending. Any info would be really great.

Thanks in advance

Rob

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The regular home cinema projectors aren't designed for bar/nightclub/pub use. Smoke, nicotine and fog fluid clogs them up and causes lamp failure.

Your main considerations should be reliability (you don't want it going off just before the big match) and service support (if the worst does happen, how soon can it be fixed).

King of the club market is still the CRT projector. The Seleco 350 would produce a nice image on a 7.5ft diagonal (6ft wide) screen. You should be able to lease or rent one of these with a screen for around £30 (eqivalent) per week from one of the many pub projector companies that advertise in The Publican.

There are very few single lens projectors that are smoke proof. Seleco have a projector called the EV150. Expect to pay around £35 - £40 pw.

Most single lens projector users rely on service contracts and regular maintenance to keep their projectors running. The other cost is replacement lamps. A typical projector lamp might be rated to last 2000 hours in clean conditions, but a club is a much harsher environment. Think about the service required on your Martin lights and you'll get the picture. 1000 ANSI lumen lamps cost an average of £300 to replace.

NEC VT440 has been popular in the past. Philips have a projector called cSmart with a 6000 hour lamp. Both are rated at 1000 ANSI and will hook into a Sky receiver.

If you are looking for something short term just for the World Cup football then prices for rental will be much higher. Expect to pay around £90 - £150 a week on a short contract. £200 for a single day. Most hire companies know the score, footie season is like a feeding frenzy and there are plenty of landlords willing (or desperate enough) to pay the rate. All the prices above would be plus VAT.

A cheaper alternative is a second hand projector. Check the Classifieds here or send me a provate message for more info.

Regards