1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projection TV - Cleaning the Screen

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by skip_rat, Aug 16, 2005.

1. skip_rat

skip_rat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got a CRT rear projection TV, it was cheap, but because it has stood around unused for a long time the screen is filthy. I've read the manual and it recommends that the only form of screen cleaning is to pat the screen with a dry cloth. This isn't going to work as the screen has been splashed with something (tried a small area with a damp cotton bud and it did seem to come off) and then wiped with a dirty rag or similar leaving loads of smears. :eek:

So what is the best way to clean it, the screen seems to have lots of fine vertical lines in the surface. I'm completely new to this so any help would be appreciated.

:lease:

2. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Dpending on how bad the screen is then you could always remove it and VERY carefully clean it before putting it back in the housing.

Just take note of the alignment within the case ( sometimes coloured stickers are used to mark left/right - top/bottom).

I just use a duster on my Tosh RPTV and have been lucky enough to never have anything splashed on it to require any more cleaning. The screen has been replaced though as some builders scratched the original :mad:

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Skip Rat and welcome. :)

If you do a search on the Forum, this has been covered several times.

Warm water, with a little washing-up liquid will probably do the trick.

Wipe up and down, not across the "lines" that you mentioned.

(In case you are unaware, these act as a light amplifier, so the picture is brighter. The downside is that there is a limited height range for viewing.)

Good luck with your bargain! :thumbsup: