1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projection Screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tom_nieto, Jun 1, 2004.

1. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, so I've decided that a Panny PTAE200 will rock my world, and I've just ordered one, whoo! Although this does leave me quite poor :p

Anyhow, I'm just wondering what to project it on to. Screens seem awfully expensive, and I'm wondering if a white wall will suffice til I can either make one out of a white bedsheet or find a suitable one. The room that I'm going to be projecting it in next year is enormous and I could in theory have about 5m throw distance which could in theory give me a 4m diagonal screen. I think something about 3m would be more realistic.

Firstly could you lovely lot give me some places to buy decent but not so expensive screens from.

Plan B as it were would be to make one out of a bed sheet (would white be fine?). I'm thinking about getting a large one and cutting it down to size. I want to get a metal pipe or a heavy bit of dowel and sew it into the bottom of the sheet, so it would effectively make it flat by stretching it a bit. I could then have some form of wall/ceiling mount attached to the top. I would then mask it to my desired size and paint a black border.

What would you recommend?

Cheers

Tom

2. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    paint screen on wall with dulux icestorm 5 or 6, then paint your black borders, i did this for a mate who also has an AE200 and the pq was excellent

3. Chibouk

Chibouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You could always make your own screen. Mine cost me about £25 to make. Search this forum for more information :)

4. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As it's rented accomodation I don't think that would be an option, although it's definitely good to know that paint is fine, although you used matt paint right?

5. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    you could paint a piece of mdf and mount it on the wall, as for the paint there are loads of satisfied (icestorm) users on these forums, dulux icestorm is a matt emulsion

6. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wonder if I could buy a big piece of black fabric and paint it with the ice storm paint that you speak of. I would get black borders and it would hopefully be roll up, although I think it would probably crack if I rolled it... hmmm...

7. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    some folks on here use blackout blinds (ikea tuplar is popular) they are cheap, roll up so can be hidden easily if required and are supposed to give a good pq, use search (blackout blinds) if you are intersted in going down this route

8. jamiev

jamiev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
  9. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13