Projection Screen Recycling

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bmxsummoner, Jan 19, 2008.

1. bmxsummoner

bmxsummoner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Fellow Forumers,

I'm thinking of reconfiguring my bedroom projector set-up/placement, where I'd be ending up with a smaller diy 70" diag. screen than my my current 82" diag. electric pull-down screen. I'm thinking of maybe using the screen material from the 82" to cover and staple it to the 70". I want to know what you peeps think; any possible drawbacks, etc. or if even it is workable.

Thanks.

2. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi,

Can't you sell this one and just buy the screen material only?

You might be better off financially, as selling your current screen and buying fabric might be cheaper.

Just a thought.

(When stapling, I would make a frame first and then staple the material on the back. This allows you to create more tension and thus get a flatter surface)

Good luck,

Otto
    Beamax

3. bmxsummoner

bmxsummoner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Otto,

My screen is the German made electric screens one can get off eBay, about £100-£120 (bought it end of November 2006). I'm not sure how good or bad it would re-sell as I no longer have the original packaging and that it's big thus a collect only item. I've also calibrated (with HCFR + Spyder) the projector to my current screen, so I'm worried about re-calibrating, having a bad match, etc. Am I worrying too much and about the wrong things? Because I did consider selling it and just ordering the screen material.

4. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    In that case, you're right. Just recycle... Selling and buying a new fabric will be more expensive and a hassle (especially without the packaging).

Good luck!

Otto
    Beamax

5. martin purnell

martin purnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi Otto,
    Thanks for responding esp as you work for Beamax and gave totally impartial advice. Without trying to hi-jack this thread, I would welcome thoughts as to what I have done. Please see my thread about making a frame and using canvas with a special concoction of paint!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673357

I noted someone on the classifieds was selling a screen that was i think, 90 inches wide. My "bespoke" version is only 65 inches wide. Had I bought it, would the cutting of the screen to size be worthwhile as it might lead to ripping/tearing when attaching it to the frame etc?

I can appreciate people like to make things to save money and am aware that generally speaking, there is no real substitute between a homemade version like mine and say a Beamax. However, because of my wife's eyesight (she has Retinitis Pigmentosa which has left her with extreme tunnel vision), I can have only a certain screen width, even my screen which is equivalent to a 78" plasma is miles too big for her. Consequently, buying a ready made screen needs to be on the fairly small size that is also geared for LCD PJs to make the blacks blacker...hence greyish paint!
    So....... how would say a purpose made PJ screen cope with my paint mix...assuming I could cut and attach properly a screen to fit my frame?
    Any thoughts/advice would be very much appreciated.
    Kind regards,

Martin

6. bmxsummoner

bmxsummoner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Martin,

I think what could've had helped would be if you knew how the owner stapled his screen (in what order) so you can undo it in the opposite the order. But that would require a lot of effort then and doesn't address your question of how it would've behaved if you CUT the screen.

I'd suggest browsing too through the diy screen section at AV science, but you probably already did.

I've been looking for an aesthetic solution to something I wanna achieve with a new screen: I'd like to be able to (easily?) flip or cover the screen with artwork/fabric when not in use, bearing in mind that I also have to mount/turn the screen vertically when in "non-movie" mode. Very demanding, I know...

Good luck to me indeed. :rolleyes:

Here's the link Martin: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=929997

7. martin purnell

martin purnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks Bmxsummoner for that link. I had never seen it before. Interesting to see that he also showed how to build one with a black out screen (he called it block out, I'm assuming here that is the USA term). I know from other threads that people are using IKEA's own black out lining to great effect. As Northern Ireland are still coming to terms with the fact that the Swedes have just opened their first ever store on the Emerald Isle (parallel to George Best City Airport....the restaurant overlooks the runway....wow!!!), I was able to have a look for myself at this material yesterday. Had I not bought the canvas, I would most probably have gone down this route.
    The use of grey paint is well explained. In all, an excellent site. Many thanks for taking the time to post it.
    Martin

8. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    @bmxsummoner:
    We actually make a screen that does exactly that. It's called the Masquerade screen. It has Screenresearch fabric and is a high end (and high cost solution). There would be ways to make a DIY version, which would be different construction-wise, but with a similar result: Put a fixed frame screen on the wall (your current DIY version), buy a roller blind system. Take the fabric out and go the a company that makes prints on canvas and get a canvas the size you want with the print you want. Put this in the roller blind and presto...
    (Yes, I know this is bit of a short description, but you propbably get the idea. If you need more details, let me know)

@Martin:
    It really depends on how happy you are with your current set up. If you are very happy with it, why change? If you find that your image is lacking something, could you let me know what and I can probably give better advice.
    Here's an idea though: I am not a medical expert, but from what I could quickly find on the web, it seems like brightness of the image will help your wife see things better. I would test before buying a piece of fabric and use a white sheet of paper (A4) to do a comparison. Do a side to side comparison while projecting a still image and in terms of brightness, you'll know whether you like white or grey. Knowing what's right is easy: let your eyes and your wife's be the judge. Depengding on the results, you'll know whether you should stick with what you have or go the fabric route.

I hope this is helpful, but if you need further info or have any questions, let me know.

Otto
    Beamax