Projection screen choice

Niklaus

Standard Member
Hello,

I hope this post is in the right place! I've recently purchased a JVC HD 350 projector and I'm very pleased with it. I don't have the resources to create a dedicated cinema room but I have achieved favourable viewing results using a white sheet backed with a blackout curtain giving approx 100" screen. I live in the country so there is no light pollution at night save for reflective surfaces the room is pretty dark.
I really want to buy a dedicated screen as Ive read this is a much better option (the image Im getting is good, fairly sharp but not as sharp as a blu ray on my 42" tv)- but I have a limited budget (£100 max) so would love some advice or if anyone is selling a good screen on please let me know. Also any calibration tips would be welcomed as no manual was provided with the projector.

Many thanks to all in advance

Klaus

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Unless someone has one for sale in the classifieds, I hold out until you have save a few more pennies as £100 won't buy you a lot and you may find that the screen you buy at this value has more ripples and waves than the sea.

Do you know if you are looking for a Fixed Framed Screen, Electric or a Manual Pull Down Screen?

Niklaus

Standard Member
Unless someone has one for sale in the classifieds, I hold out until you have save a few more pennies as £100 won't buy you a lot and you may find that the screen you buy at this value has more ripples and waves than the sea.

Do you know if you are looking for a Fixed Framed Screen, Electric or a Manual Pull Down Screen?
I think it would have to be a fixed frame as I cant mount anything where I am. I’m actually using a photography screen for the frame and the fabric plus some blackout curtains. I used steam to get rid of the creases and pegs for taughtness. Not the most elegant approach but it works, I noticed a huge improvement when I used a blackout blind behind the white. I tried using black initially fabric but it affected the whites too much.. I know you can buy all sorts on Amazon which are cheap but I have no idea how good they are And would a cheap one be better than what I’m currently doing anyway? Guess you get what you pay for..

Niklaus

Standard Member
Actually a better question to ask might be this - what is the best fabric to buy for a home made screen for a JVC HD350 projector? Dark room- a few reflective surfaces. Approx 4.5m from screen - 100”.

Thanks

I would look for a used fixed frame screen around 90" with a white neutral gain screen material. The HD350 wont have light to light up a bigger screen, so better have a bit of headroom so you can close down the iris a bit and gain some contrast, or still be able to light up the screen with a used lamp, the lamps for the HD350 is way way to expensive, cost about 2x the price of a used HD350, and the alternative lamps are mostly crap, shortlived and way to dim to start with.

Normally its quite easy to find 90-100" neutral gain screens really cheap as most buy bigger today.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I know a few do make screens for themselves and I'm sure there was a thread about it, but having a quick look, sadly I cannot find it. Hopefully someone who has done this will come along and assist you :)

Niklaus

Standard Member
I would look for a used fixed frame screen around 90" with a white neutral gain screen material. The HD350 wont have light to light up a bigger screen, so better have a bit of headroom so you can close down the iris a bit and gain some contrast, or still be able to light up the screen with a used lamp, the lamps for the HD350 is way way to expensive, cost about 2x the price of a used HD350, and the alternative lamps are mostly crap, shortlived and way to dim to start with.

Normally its quite easy to find 90-100" neutral gain screens really cheap as most buy bigger today.
I’m getting good light levels at 120”or seem to be - my bulb is 350hrs use so hopefully that will have a little more life? But thanks - I will have a look at that, so a white screen As it lacks the luminosity for a darker screen.

Niklaus

Standard Member
I know a few do make screens for themselves and I'm sure there was a thread about it, but having a quick look, sadly I cannot find it. Hopefully someone who has done this will come along and assist you :)
Thanks for the input nonetheless

I’m getting good light levels at 120”or seem to be - my bulb is 350hrs use so hopefully that will have a little more life? But thanks - I will have a look at that, so a white screen As it lacks the luminosity for a darker screen.
I think, or im quite sure it will have a huge gamma drop, that means average content will look bright, but when/ if you get it calibrated you likely loos ½ of that light in an average scene. The gamma drop also means the image will look fairly washed out and undynamic in comparison to when its calibrated and tracks a decent 2.3 or alike gamma curve.

This is the gamma drop on a JVC X3, look at the curve, and pay attention to Target Y and Y
X3 std.jpeg

Last edited:

Niklaus

Standard Member
I feel like I
I think, or im quite sure it will have a huge gamma drop, that means average content will look bright, but when/ if you get it calibrated you likely loos ½ of that light in an average scene. The gamma drop also means the image will look fairly washed out and undynamic in comparison to when its calibrated and tracks a decent 2.3 or alike gamma curve.

This is the gamma drop on a JVC X3, look at the curve, and pay attention to Target Y and Y View attachment 1613265
Im going to head into a bit of a rabbit hole with this one but here goes... how do I calibrate it?
the diagram, what does the x axis represent?
thanks.

Nayfne

Distinguished Member

This is the gamma drop on a JVC X3, look at the curve, and pay attention to Target Y
I feel like I

Im going to head into a bit of a rabbit hole with this one but here goes... how do I calibrate it?
thank
You've definitely opened a can worms, be prepared for some extreme numbers and figures about your JVC from our good man stridsvognen..Good luck finding a screen now, better change the name of the thread :D ( only joking Strids)

I feel like I

thanks.
The X axis is your light output from black to white 0-100% Y is the measured light output at that level.

To calibrate it you need software and a meter, and the skills to operate it.

You've definitely opened a can worms, be prepared for some extreme numbers and figures about your JVC from our good man stridsvognen..Good luck finding a screen now, better change the name of the thread :D ( only joking Strids)
Thats how goes when trying to explain why not to run a to big screen, suddenly the can is open.

Niklaus

Standard Member
Thank You. So I need to keep things dark to get the most from this projector?
I’m looking for a neutral gain, white projector material now. Not grey? I’ve seem a white one 1.2 gain and a grey one 0.9. I have a frame so the material will be were I will start. Any recommendations with that?
I did buy the projector off someone who seemed quite informed so perhaps he did some calibration. Is there anything I can do to check these things without losing my mind in a matrix of numbers?
The X axis is your light output from black to white 0-100% Y is the measured light output at that level.

To calibrate it you need software and a meter, and the skills to operate it.

Thank You. So I need to keep things dark to get the most from this projector?
I’m looking for a neutral gain, white projector material now. Not grey? I’ve seem a white one 1.2 gain and a grey one 0.9. I have a frame so the material will be were I will start. Any recommendations with that?
I did buy the projector off someone who seemed quite informed so perhaps he did some calibration. Is there anything I can do to check these things without losing my mind in a matrix of numbers?
a 1.2 gain will work, just notice that cheap gain screens often sparkle and have shimmering, with gain screens ill recommend going for high-end screens, not discount screens, if you can find a Steward Studiotek 130 G3 screen for cheap, go for it.
Gray will not help your case with a not very bright projector, so white neutral gain 1.0 around max 90" would be my recommendation.
Neutral gain 1.0 white screens have always been the reference and the cheaper solution.

I dont think there is anything you can do calibration wise, other than get the DVE blu ray disc, and make sure you get the levels/ black and white clipping right.

inzaman

I would second buying a decent screen if possible. I have just replaced the G3 with G4 material and the studiotek just adds a depth to the image and also does not throw the light all round the room when projectong onto the image. I have a 9500 but the gain on the studiotek would be perfect for the 350. If you had a frame of some sorts I still have the g3 material siting in the garage.

Niklaus

Standard Member
I would second buying a decent screen if possible. I have just replaced the G3 with G4 material and the studiotek just adds a depth to the image and also does not throw the light all round the room when projectong onto the image. I have a 9500 but the gain on the studiotek would be perfect for the 350. If you had a frame of some sorts I still have the g3 material siting in the garage.
Sounds interesting, can you tell me about the size and price, location etc?

hype_male

A bit of advice needed please. I have been looking on aliexpress site a while for alr screen say 120 inches. However, i came across some one selling 100" (screen only, no projector) hisense laser tv screen. Now, one mind is saying get the 120 alr from aliexpress but am not familiar with quality of alr screen on aliexpress and dont want to waste my money. Another mind is saying get thr 100" hisense laser screen this person is selling as it bound to be far superior than buying alr screen from aliexpress. What do you guy think.?

If i get the screen from hisense laser tv from the person, can i use this with any ust projector or can i only use hisense laser screen with hisense projector only.

Regarding size of screen my mind is just saying go big with 120" but the width of the room is only 262 cm wide. Would a 120 screen be an over kill and just settle with 100" or would 120 be fine in a room 262 wide

Go watch something like what you are looking at before buying, nobody can advise you what you prefer.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand