1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projection picture quality

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kalem, Sep 11, 2005.

1. kalem

kalem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would like some advise regarding the pic quality i would expect from sky broadcast from a pj such as the z3 . ae900e. or there abouts. how would it compare to dvd.

2. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The picture quality from Sky is average at best, DVD will always look better no matter which projector you use. The large screen will amplify all the imperfections in the broadcast.

3. kalem

kalem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for that zippycat. looks like staying with the plasma.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but SkyHD is just around the corner ;) .

:smoke:

5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    If you are thinking of replacing a plasma with a projector for normal day to day viewing of all sources then you have to take a lot of things into consideration such as ambient light in the room, wether you can black the room out completely, will the projector be set up permenantly.

I see a projector as more of a second viewing method rather than a primary (allthough if you intend it for a dedicated cinema room it is nother story). and would never recomend one to anyone to replace a TV full stop.

6. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    sky will look "average" on any display and dvd will allways look better. I have a panasonic PW6 plasma and panasonic ae700 pj and to me the projector never disapoints, the PQ is allmost on par but the main difference is it is over twice the size! and with the new generation coming out also there is no quesion what I would choose to watch a movie on.

7. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a plasma here and a projector and when these guys say average they mean average in comparison with what can be achieved with a projector (amazing) so basically average in PJ terms is brillant in comparsion with Plasma plus Sky is a poor source to begin with so the fact that a PJ can achieve average is decent when you consider the size of the image a PJ projects.

8. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I had a friend come round ( who recently bought a plasma), he and I both agreed that my PJ gave a better picture than his plasma especially when viewing SKY broadcasts.

As said elsewhere I use the PJ as a secondary viewing platform for DVDs and Sports coverage for normal use I use a CRT.

9. kalem

kalem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks everyone you have answerd all my queries. may buy a pj after all.thought you were using them as for every thing. regards wayne

10. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,486
    Agree with what everyone else wrote...I wouldn't watch normal TV on a projector either as when you come to watch a movie it will detract from the overall effect...

11. stryker

stryker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky apply heavy compression to their broadcasts which is why picture is poor and smokey scenes look worst.

Interesting though, they do not compress the adverts, which is why adverts boom over your speakers nearly breaking them.