projection distances

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by leon, Dec 1, 2001.

1. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    i have a problem
    the 11ht i want to use with my screen im not sure if the picture will fit .

my screen distance is 16ft away from lens

my screen shape is hdtv and is 80" 203 by 45" 114

will the vpl11ht fill the screen up or will i have to move it closer

specs for the sony are here
    http://www.sonypresentation.com/images/product/X/VPL-VW11HT(brch).pdf

help plz .......

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    There is a program called PJ Calc that will alow you to calculate the distance from your projector to your screen. The program does not have the 11HT on it but it has the 10HT on it and as far as I know the throw distance is identical. You should be able to find the link on the FAQ for the 10HT at www.thebigpicture.com if memory serves.

I think 16 foot from that screen size looks to be a bit far. I would have said about between 10 feet and 11.5 feet (118 and 136 inches)

You did not answer my question as to how long it took for your screen to come from direkt2u in your other thread. If it is Matt white it is probably my cancelled order that has finally turned up. It was ordered for 5 weeks before I eventually cancelled it and reordered a larger one.

Darren

3. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    looking at the projection calc it looks like i have to have the projector 3 feet in front of my seating position ,,how sad. i cant work out why sony would change a good lens like the one on
    the vpl400qm to a micky mouse one that you hafto move the screen or the projector closer :( :( :(

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    I had a VW10HT and at the time the same 80"x45" screen size. The projector was about 11' from the screen. I had to zoom almost right in.

Sony put the short throw lense on to allow people with smaller rooms to have a larger picture. Also the throw is pretty similar to most CRT projectors. Maybe they thought this would allow CRT owners to change over to them easier etc.

5. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank god my 10ht has a short throw lens the "wow"factor is there by the way if you keep twice the screen width back you will be fine.
    regards Laurie

6. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    well ive just set up my mount for the sony 11 and its 10ft away ive made more holes in the ceiling than a spong :) but when its finished it should look great ,shame its not above my head like the 400qm but still i hope the picture makes up for the hassle..

thx