1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projecting through glass.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pulsar, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello all.

I have had my HS10 for 4 days now, and am very pleased, just neen my Avia disc now to get it setup. At the moment I am projecting through a hole in the wall, but i hope to cover this with a piece of glass to keep the noise out of the viewing room. My question is, 'Do I need to use a special type of glass to stop reflections and distortion of the image?'

Cheers

Rob

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Pulsar,

Seem to replying to lads of stuff for you;)

Get some Optical quality glass and ask for it to be anti-refelction coated, this is the same coating as on the cover of the fron of our HS10's thats difficult to clean without leavig smears.:rolleyes:

Regards

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    to throw in my 2p worth..... my understanding is that the AR will cut down reflections but use of destructive interference.... surely that means that the reflection is still present, just it has been cancelled out.... which in turn surely means that the transmission through the glass is less than that incident..... what im trying to say is that, with my understanding, the presence of glass is going to dim the picture to some extent.

ad

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I will have a look at some of this glass before I buy, but I think that the light that is lost could be compensated for in the service menu.

I will keep you informed.

Cheers

Rob

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Nprmal glass or plastic allows approx. 90% of the light to pass through. Anti-reflection coatings come in various varieties from a single layer coating which improves levels to around 93%, a muli-layer coating to about 95-96% up to a super-ar coating with 99.2%.

I dont think 0.8% of the output of the pj will be a problem;)