Projecting onto wall

damianbragg82

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to free up a wall in my small living area so that I can get rid of the TV/AV equipment there.

I am planning to buy the Epsom EH-TW6100W and ceiling mount it. I would plan to use it wirelessly. As I understand it, this has no vertical lens shift, but according to a review (), it has horizontal shift (although he didn't demonstrate this). I would simply angle it downwards and keystone it.

I've watched a few YouTube videos () of screen vs no screen, and I can't really tell much difference. I've had the walls skimmed recently so they should be flat, and I am planning to paint all the walls an off-white. There are a couple of windows in the room, but most of my viewing is done in the evening; during the day I might watch the news.

I don't really want to have a screen since the room has some Edwardian features, and I think it would look out of place.

Are there any strict rules on matt/gloss/goo with this particular setup?

This may be a contraversial view, but I've found a modest amount of keystone correction isn't the evil many people suggest. In theory it's not ideal, but in practice, on a 1080p projector, with video material, it's actually very hard to see any negative effect.

I don't really want to have a screen since the room has some Edwardian features, and I think it would look out of place.

I'd love to know the answer to this too as our house is Victorian. I might just get away with mounting the PJ but definitely won't get the go ahead from OH for a screen! What colour is best to paint the wall and which paint?

Black widow, (do a search on here) but make sure the plaster is super smooth.
I'm trying to free up a wall in my small living area so that I can get rid of the TV/AV equipment there.

I am planning to buy the Epsom EH-TW6100W and ceiling mount it. I would plan to use it wirelessly. As I understand it, this has no vertical lens shift, but according to a review (), it has horizontal shift (although he didn't demonstrate this). I would simply angle it downwards and keystone it.

I've watched a few YouTube videos () of screen vs no screen, and I can't really tell much difference. I've had the walls skimmed recently so they should be flat, and I am planning to paint all the walls an off-white. There are a couple of windows in the room, but most of my viewing is done in the evening; during the day I might watch the news.

Why would you need to angle it downwards and use keystone? PJ's have an offset anyway check what this is on persons website.

I should warn you that quite a few of the best projectors barely have any keystone functionality at all since they don't expect you to use it. You could think about putting it on a plinth instead of on the ceiling. This would mean it being just above your seated head hight rather than up on the ceiling. This method is one I am considering as it makes moving the projector a lot safer and allows you to mess around with it without standing on anything. Having said that, there are secure stands that come with an extension pole that would drop the hight of the projector down significantly, which is the other option I am thinking of. If you go with the plinth you need to basically bolt or screw it to the floor so it doesn't tip.

If you have the room, though, a third option would be a plinth in front of the seating area. This is a decent solution if you have a big room, but the major downside is that it would be both a trip hazard and a magnet for any spilt drink.

Not great room specs for projectors especially if the room is small.

My current room is white all over but 30' x 16' and I project from halfway down the 30' length so the rear wall is quite some way away and that reduces some light bounce-back.

At present I project onto matt white paint.

My image improves when I fasten devore black velvet 4' wide up the walls and across the ceiling near the image to reduce the light bouncing around.

The image could be improved by painting grey projector paint this would of course reduce whites but lower blacks.

The image will/would be more improved by using an ambient light screen such as Draper React.

I suggest getting your projector installed and see what you think.

If you want to improve the image then get the velvet out, change wall/ceiling colours or get a screen.

When watching at night with no lights on then I think you might be surprised how good an image you can get without a screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom