Question Projecting in a White Marquee on a Sunny Day

Starbuckle

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

This is my first post :)

I'm using a BenQ W1080ST+ short throw projector (2200 ANSI lumen) for projection mapping a touring art installation. The projection surface is around 0.7m(h) x 0.5m(w) and I'm projecting from close quarters with the projector housed inside a nearby plinth.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this unit. It fits my primary requirements which are: Full HD and short throw ratio (0.69-0.83).

However, I need to be able to project in a white marquee at some point in the future which, on a sunny day, is saturated with diffuse white light and presents a very challenging environment to project in. I've done a test in the past and the projections (all-white animations) were almost totally washed out when the sun came out. I'll probably be projecting an all-white animation but this isn't a given.

What projector would you recommend as an upgrade to this model in terms of brightness that might be able to cope with this situation as well as fitting the bill with Full HD resolution and a short throw lens (0.69 ratio minimum)?

By way of budget, I'd like to keep things under £1500 if possible but am open to going higher for the right projector.

I'd love to hear your suggestions.
Thanks so much!

Starbuckle

Novice Member
A grey screen will help and do a better job than white under those conditions, but I'm guessing that lumens are probably more important than anything else, so get the most lumens you can afford, and that will probably be from a 1080 data projector rather than a home cinema one.
Thanks, Gary. Unfortunately the object I'm projecting on is white/cream and I can't do anything about that.

Though it may be brighter, will a data projector underperform in other areas when compared to a home cinema one? Colour performance, for example?

And can the lumens in the specification always be trusted? I read that a high lumen count in the spec doesn't always translate to the equivalent brightness in the field.

Barcoing Mad

A bright data projector with poor colour performance will give a better image than a fully calibrated dimmer HC projector fighting the levels of background illumination you're encountering. Also, given the nature of what you're doing, is adherence to a particular colour standard an important parameter?

Starbuckle

Novice Member
A bright data projector with poor colour performance will give a better image than a fully calibrated dimmer HC projector fighting the levels of background illumination you're encountering. Also, given the nature of what you're doing, is adherence to a particular colour standard an important parameter?
No it's not at all. I suppose I was thinking less about calibration but more in terms of keeping the colours as rich and contrasted as possible.

I'll have a look online for some bright, short throw data projectors, on the advice I've been given here. Does anyone have any models they'd recommend?

kc5819w

Personally I think your situation is very difficult, and requires a seriously bright projector. Short throw projectors dont seem to go over about 3500 lumens, which is bright indeed but i'm still not sure if it would be bright enough for strong daylight.

Starbuckle

Novice Member
Personally I think your situation is very difficult, and requires a seriously bright projector. Short throw projectors dont seem to go over about 3500 lumens, which is bright indeed but i'm still not sure if it would be bright enough for strong daylight.
I know... I've tried to explain this to the organiser but they want me to have a go anyway.

Thank you for that suggestion, I'll take a look.

Starbuckle

Novice Member
Thanks so much for the feedback so far. It's been really useful.

Does anyone have any feedback regarding the Optoma EH415ST as a projector? Or any more advice for my situations generally?

Diddern

Here I will say look at the used market.
An Epson 9000-9300 or a Jvc X5000
They have ok light and will give you a great image.
See first the specifications on screen size and throw distance needed.

Top Bottom