1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projecting from another room

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by monopole, Aug 30, 2005.

1. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I went home the other weekend to help my dad do some work to install a projector (Panasonic AE700). We did the installation by knocking a hole in the wall between the kitchen and the livingroom so that the projector "lives" in a kitchen cupboard. We then installed a screen over the window (from www.drhscreens.co.uk) which is approx 2.3m wide and ran a 10m component video cable (from www.cableuniverse.co.uk) from the DVD player in the TV cabinet, under the floor of the livingroom and up through the kitchen cupboards to the PJ.

I've attached some photos of the work in progress - the inside frame of the hole in the wall hadn't been painted by the time I left. Nor had the fabric pelmet been installed (which will hide the screen when not in use).

The result? Awesome. PJ is hidden behind a picture when not in use. When in use, the cupboard door is left open to aid cooling (the AE700 takes air in from the rear left and ejects it out of the front - perfect for this installation). And there's not a cable in sight.

I must say that the service from both cable universe and drh screens was excellent. I phoned them both before hand for a friendly chat and queries about delivery - the result was that I placed an order for the screen and cable on the Thursday and took delivery the next morning.

I've attached some pictures below.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      Size:
      6.3 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      Size:
      8 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      Size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      Size:
      10 KB
      Views:
    • 05.jpg
      05.jpg
      Size:
      8.4 KB
      Views:
    • 06.jpg
      06.jpg
      Size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
    • 07.jpg
      07.jpg
      Size:
      7.8 KB
      Views:
    • 09.jpg
      09.jpg
      Size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      Size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      Size:
      15.5 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      Size:
      13.2 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      Size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      Size:
      8 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      Size:
      8.4 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      Size:
      6.9 KB
      Views:
  2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    very neat solution, good work :smashin:

I like the fact its hidden in a cupboard on the back as well :)

3. robzter

robzter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thats a clever idea. any chance of posting screen grabs?

4. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    RE:

"PJ is hidden behind a picture when not in use. When in use, the kitchen door is left open to aid cooling"

I had to grin! I just got images of a burgler trying to steal your pj while you're watching a film.

I have something similar in my cellar. The 'room' is actually plasterboards, with a gap between that & the cellar walls. The pj lives in the gap. I was initially worried about damp, but it hasn't been a problem in 20 months.

Steve W

5. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Next time I'm home, I'll get some pics of it in action. Everyone who saw it in action (friends and neighbours) were gobsmacked by how good it was - they were like a bunch of giggling children. And two friends who did see it in action have now ordered a Sanyo Z3 each (seeing as it is so cheap at the moment).

6. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops, I meant CUPBOARD door of course ;)

7. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant idea!! It's just like a real cinema :thumbsup:

8. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are some pics of the finished room. PJ is now a Panny AE900, connected to an old Toshiba DVD player over component video (10m lead). Amp is a Yamaha RXV-557 which is hooked up to a Mission FS1 6.1 speaker package (a very neat package which sounds very good indeed - currently £200 from www.hifibitz.co.uk). Compared to my AE700, the AE900 is a nice evolution - no vertical banding (Master and Commander was the first dvd I tried) and the image is much smoother - much more "film-like".

Attached Files:

9. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The previous pics were taken with some background illumination (i.e. the kitchen light was on). This lot were taken in the dark. Noise on the images is from the camera (I cranked up the ISO to get pics of dark scenes).

Screen is 8 feet wide.

Attached Files:

10. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    WOW! That is just amazing! Isnt your TV in the way?
    TW, those speakers look cool :)

11. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV is an old lumbering beast which will soon to be replaced by an LCD model which can be pushed out of the way much more easily.

12. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    You should put the picture that covers up the view portal on a hinge so that you only have to lift it up to get it out of the way.

Fantastic job btw. And you won't get any noise from the PJ in quiet bits of the film. Brilliant. :)

13. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Very nice installation job - minimal intrusion cinema works for me in non-dedicated rooms :thumbsup:

14. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    Impressive, very neat looking

If you don't mind me asking. How did you take the pictures in the dark. Did you just up the ISO and turn of the flash?

I have a new camera from Xmas and want to take some pics of my setup.

15. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Loooks really good , how much of a job was it to knock a suitable sized hole out of the wall and did you have to take the kitchen cupboard down etc , or was you in the process of redoing the front room ?

did you have to repaint or replaster the wall to leave it looking finished?

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Great job. :thumbsup:

Doubles as a serving hatch. :)

17. W. Hobbs

W. Hobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lovely neat solution. Thanks for cable and screen links. Have already ordered.

18. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used a casio Exilim EX-S500. I manually set the white balance to match the colours to what I saw on screen and then set the ISO to 400. I then paused the DVD, sat very still on the sofa and took a few shots for each screenshot (so on average I would get at least one unblurred shot).

19. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funilly enough, the living room had just been redecorated (apart from new curtains and carpet). To make the hole, we did the following:

We didn't remove the cupboard, simply removed the thin hardboard backing that was behind the cupboard (by hitting it hard in the middle with a hammer to make a hole and then ripped it out using brute force and intelligence).

Next we drew on the wall the shape of the hole we wanted then drilled about 150 holes half way into the wall from the kitchen side along the outline we had just drawn. We then drilled a single hole all the way through the wall in the exact centre of the rectangle. Then it was off to the living room side, using the centre hole to draw an outline on that side of the wall, we then drilled another 150 or so holes around the outline again (it's a two man job - one drills, the other stands there wih a hoover sucking up the dust). What you end up with is a perforated rectangle... a few knocks with a lump hammer and chisel and the bricks in the middle popped out into the kitchen cupboard. We then tidied up the hole using the lump hammer and chisel.

Next, we made up a box out of plywood (nothing fancy, just fastened it together with ring-shank nails and glue) and knocked that into the hole (it was a nice, tight fit, so it's not actually fastened in place). Then we made a frame from some batton and used some pins to nail it to the front of the box to make a nice frame. Once we cleared up, the box was painted and a picture was hung over the front.

Because we drilled the outline first, and because we tacked on a frame afterwards, there was no need to plaster anything.

20. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, got back home and fired up my AE700... hmm, when did it get so dim!? Have been spoiled by the brand new AE900. I guess the initial brightness falls pretty fast - 500 hours on my AE700... Mind you, I expect I'll get used to it again in no time.

21. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn! My AE700 got very dim last night and then the PJ powered itself off with the dreaded red warning light. Thankfully, I managed to get in on the £100 bulb from www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk a couple of months back and after inserting that, it's like having a brand new projector again. I just hope I get more than the 565 hours I got out of the first bulb.

www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk sell spare AE700 bulbs for £150 at present:

http://www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk/itfx_product_details.php?pid=2661

Look under the "optional extras" tab on the right hand box (I had to add the AE700 to the shopping cart with the extra lamp checkbox checked, then removed the AE700 from the shopping cart at checkout.