1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projecting AVI video from a CD onto a beamer...HOW?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by captainx, Apr 28, 2005.

1. captainx

captainx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is an extremely newbie-ish question but I'm still hoping for someone to help me out with a step-by-step answer...

I have to project an .AVI or .WMV video (that is on a CD), on to a screen through a beamer. I have never done this before so if someone would take the time to explain how this works and what I would need for it that would be most helpful. I suppose I need a cd with the files on it, a computer or laptop, a beamer and a screen. No clue how it all works though and how I hook it all up. Thanks!

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's a beamer? (I only know it as a car made by Germans!)

Dave

3. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My guess is beamer is used here to describe a projector. A language barrier perhaps exists.

To captainx your basic description pretty much covers how it works.

4. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You've guessed correctly. I assume this is probably for a work presentation ? If so I suggest you get a reasonably powerful laptop running Win XP with Media Player as this will easily handle your AVI and WMV files. Whilst you could run the movies from the CD the performance of the CD drive and data transfer rate will impact the quality of projection so I suggest you copy the files onto the hard drive and open them up in Media Player straight from the C drive.
    As far as connecting the laptop to the projector this will be via the vga/d-sub (15 pin) socket on the back of the laptop to the same on the projector. Turn the laptop on first and then the projector. The projector will normally be in auto mode and will seek out a data signal and then display it. If you don't get a display then use the pj menu to cycle through the pj inputs to detect the signal (e.g s-video, composite, vga). If you still cannot see a picture turn the PC off an restart it. Sometimes pjs are fussy about the order things are switched on.
    One other thing to consider is the audio. Unless you connect up an amp you will have the audio from your movie files coming through either the laptop speaker or any internal speaker built into the pj. Both maybe ok for you if it's just a business presentation but not much use for 5.1 movies !

Hope this helps

Ray :)

5. captainx

captainx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I did mean a projector :) Anyhow thanks Ray I think I'm getting there. The specific situation that I need all this for is this...A friend has designed an animated backdrop (video) to be used in a live show by a band. The film has to be projected onto a screen behind the stage. The venue has a projector, but I will have to bring my own computer (I dont have a laptop)..that's it so far. A friend has recommenden using a program called VLC to run the video off....do you agree on that? cheers again

6. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If the venue has a projector I assume it's a big beefy commercial one - so no worries there. You could check with them about what inputs it has but it's pretty certain it will have vga which will do for a PC connection. A concern might be how you hook your PC up. If the PJ is high up on the ceiling where do all the connections run back to ? Have they already got a long vga cable connection or is it connected via another input ? I'd find out before you get there if I were you.

I haven't heard of VLC but there are plenty of players out there. As I said before for AVI and WMV you'll be ok with WIndows Media Player which can run full screen and loop the video. The guy who's produced the animated backdrop should understand this I would have thought.

Good luck.

Ray

7. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VLC is fantastic. Plays everything pretty much.