1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projecta screens.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by powlest, Feb 28, 2003.

1. powlest

powlest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    After some advice on screens please :D
    I've had a look round and the Projecta range seem fairly good quality at a reasonable price but I'm not quite sure which one to go for. Are the Pro screens worth the extra cash or would a slim screen be just as good ? Also is it worth paying the extra for the Datalux s fabric over the matt white s ?
    Any thoughts appreciated :)

2. selexus

selexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Powlest,

I have the projecta procinema matt white screen. I have found that it is well made and gives an excellent picture from my HS10. I looked around at different screens and settled on the procinema because IMHO it gave the best VFM.

Cheers

3. powlest

powlest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks selexus good to hear :)
    I did forget to say my projector is a PTAE-100 would the datalux fabric be better for the panny than the matt white?

4. selexus

selexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uummm....not sure really. I'm quite new to projectors and haven't seen anything other than the matt white type of screen.

Anyone else ?

5. powlest

powlest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone had any experience of the Datalux s fabric?

6. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Projecta Cinelpro electric screen that I use with a Panny AE100.
    Good screen, except that the edges curl inwards every time it's rolled up and it has been like that from day one, it's bugging me big time.:mad:

7. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got a Projecta Procima Electrol and it hangs perfectly flat - I never have had problems with curling.

The screen itself I have been very happy with.

I looked at the Datalux fabric (higher gain) and decided against it because of the danger of hot spotting and other problems. AFAIK you are better off with a matt white screen of gain around 1.0 esp for a bright projector.

Depends on the spec of your projector. If you have a dim projector and poor light control you might want to investigate higher gain screens.

If your unit has a relatively high output like 2000 ANSI lumens then you're not going to need a screen with a gain higher than 1.0 unless you want a MASSIVE image...

horses for courses.

PS. I think the datalux fabric is designed for business projection. I would recommend the projecta procinema range in Matte White fabric as the unit of choice. I bought mine from nexnix and it was £450 for an electric procinema electrol 180cm*102cm.

j

8. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS. I've just read you've got a panasonic AE100.

What you need to calculate is:

a) the actual light output from your unit.
    b) the size of your intended screen in square metres.
    c) The viewing angle you intend to sit at.

Then you can work out the illuminuation you will get in something like Foot-Lamberts or similar with a screen of gain 1.0 or whatever. This will allow you calculate whether the image will be bright enough and whether your viewing angle is too wide or not.
    This calculation would normally be done when specifying the projector/screen before buying either to make sure that the image size / brightness etc all 'fit' the room. You therefore can not make your unit brighter if it needs to be - you will therefore have to make your screen smaller (if necessary) or a higher gain material (if necessary) in order to get the image brightness that your circumstances demand.

Sorry this is vague but there are so many factors to consider that without accurate figures for viewing angles, screen size, your chosen viewing illumination level etc it is very hard to say what gain screen you will need.

9. powlest

powlest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John_N thanks for the reply:) I was a bit worried about the low (700 lumens) output on the PTAE-100 thats why I thought the higher screen gain might help? What are the hot spot's and other problems you mentioned with the higher gain screens?

10. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no such thing as a free lunch! A high gain screen works by increasing the on-axis light output of the screen at the expense of light output at more extreme angles. What this means is the screen gives you more light output if you are looking at it on the same axis as the projector, but immediately you move away from that axis, your viewing angle changes and the light output is not as bright.

In some situations, this can lead to "hot spotting" where the centre of the screen is more brightly lit than the edges. This is because the light striking the screen centre comes from virtually straight on whereas the light striking the edges of the screen has a certain angle. Therefore if I was using a high gain screen, I would minimise the effect by having the projector a very long way away projecting a small image, thus reducing the effects somewhat. I gather the AE100 is a "short throw" projector. This means that it can project a reasonably big image size with a short distance to the screen. In this case, as you can imagine, the angle of light rays from projector to the edge of the screen will be greater and this could lead to problems with brightness uniformity with a high gain screen. Other issues to take into consideration with high gain screens are projector siting. You wouldn't use a floor mounted projector with a high gain screen - it would tend to be ceiling mounted and you would have to work out the angles carefully. In addition, you need to know whether the material is reflective or retro-reflective. I happen to know that datalux S is reflective.

I think the standard gain that most people work with is about 1.0 - 1.2. I know some people use high gain screens like retroreflective screens but to be honest I think you're sacrificing quality for brightness. Also, in a dark room, an image that is too bright will be tiring to watch - and if you think that a high gain screen will make the image more watchable in ambient light... Well - not necesarily. It depends generally on what angle the ambient light strikes the screen at compared to the projector. If you have light hitting the screen from roughly the same angle as the projector - (worst case = window behind the projector) then the image will look terrible if if you use a 6.0 gain viewtec silverstar screen. However, if you have light falling on the screen from a very obtuse angle, in theory that shouldn't affect the contrast as much. But this is all theory and since your average room is lit mainly by scattered light (otherwise how does light get into all those corners?) then the best solution in my opinion is to keep the gain down and exclude ambient light and size your image sensibly. At the end of the day, a 700 lumen AE100 is not going to convincingly fill a 120" diagonal screen regardless of what gain it is. It isn't bright enough.

If you need more help you need to provide information on:
    Your intended screen size (width * height)
    The distance you intend to sit from the screen and how wide your settee or row of seats is.
    How much light can you exclude from the room? Where is the light coming from?
    Is the projector ceiling mounted? Floor mounted?

Bottom line though - I would still say ignore the datalux S fabric.
    J

11. powlest

powlest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm completely convinced :D I’ll go for the white, even save a few quid at the same time :)

John_N you've been a great help many thanks:smashin:

12. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    John n

Hi john

Thinking of getting the same screen as you could you tell me what the extra black masking is at the top, is it 6inches or12inshes drop also is yours ripple free.
    Thanks……….dis

13. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

There is quite a bit of black drop at the top. Mine is showing about 12 ins at the moment but I think there is about 24 - 36 in of black at the top in total. You can configure it to come down only as far as you want via a little screw adjuster which changes the point the motor stops. The screen is ripple free and has never given me a moment's trouble.

John