1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projecta Screens - Be Aware

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NPM108, Mar 2, 2005.

1. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all,

As the new owner of a Projecta ProCinema 2.4m Widescreen manual screen I just wanted to make forum readers aware of quality control issues.

My first screen had to be sent back as the white viewing part Height on the left was 132cm and on the right 128cm so I ended up with a sloping top part from left to right.

The new screen is better there is only around 0.8cm variance in the same area however this time at the bottom it slants down from left to right (the right being a bit bigger).

From what I scan see this screens start off all white and have the black viewing part sprayed on. All I can say is however is masking them isn't doing a very good job.

After complaining about my new screen I was told by my dealer who checked with Projecta that its normal for Projecta screens not to be 100%, so just thought I would let everyone know for reference of what to expect from their 'Pro' Range! The first they accepted as faulty but the second I am told is how they are!!

2. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

Sorry to hear your hassle with your new screen! Quite frankly i find that kind of service and quality totally unacceptable. i would box the screen up and take it straight back to your seller. You have 28 days remember.

And write a bloody nasty letter to Projecta explaining what a^^e holes they are. i get really annoyed when i hear about people getting screwed over like this :mad:

Dont stand for it mate!!

CH

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Well said!! It's quite unbelievable that a company can say it's normal for their products not to be 100% and expect the customer to just accept it!

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Interesting stuff.

It seems to be an industry wide problem.

I had a grandview that sloped from left to right with about 1/3rd of an inch in it. My Beaxmax also exhibited this though only slightly and there was a big problem with OWL screens a while back.

Cap :)

5. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well guys the product manager from Projecta contacted me :

Hello Nick,

I have read your complaint below. I can assure you that we take great care in the production of our screens. I am glad that our agent in Malta has given you a replacement screen, because 3cm difference is to much and noticable during projection.

Despite the fact that we have standardised our method of applying the black borders there will always be small tolerances which we have to accept.

Kind regards,

Maurice Keulen
    Product manager

Projecta BV
    PO Box 191, 6000 AD Weert
    The Netherlands
    tel: 0031 (0) 495 580 857
    fax: 0031 (0) 495 580 845
    mailto: keulen@projecta.nl <mailto:keulen@projecta.nl>
    www.projecta.nl <http://www.projecta.nl>

Well there you have it, I will bear this in mind for the future, there's no way I will use them again. Its interesting to hear that other manufacturers like Grandview etc have shown the same problems.

As I tried to explain to the product manager I was buying their PRO cinema range but I don't see anything pro about it.

btw just for reference I paid £270 for this screen.

NPM108

6. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone had any (within last 6 months) experience with the Owl Grand Cinema Tab Tensioned Projection Screens; good, bad or indifferent?

7. jkirkebo

jkirkebo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry, but there's nothing "pro" about a £270 screen. That is far into the cheaper end of the range.

I have a Projecta TabScreen Electrol on order, price for that one is about £2500 + shipping.

Still, a £270 screen shouldn't be defective. But for that price you can't expect top notch quality either.

8. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    of course you can and should! Recently i was using a £140 drh manual screen and the geometry was perfect. i might add the image was damn fine too via a Sharp 12000 pj.
    You may gain a little for image but it wont be leagues ahead and i know that from personal experience. if drh can do it for peanuts then so can anyone else.

CH

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    A DIY screen for under 50 quid can be made perfect to the mm, for 270 I'd be expecting it to be square and true...PJ

10. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thats what they choose to name their screen range, not my choice. Also the prices we have here are considerably better than the UK, or so I've been told!

Good luck with your 2.5K! screen, I hope its perfect for your sake but whether you are paying 50 quid of a whopping 2500 quality control should be maintained across the board. Otherwise they should put a statement saying a variance of x% is normal or something like that.

To me its just lousy quality control, there are plenty of others doing them for cheaper, and its not as if my screen is perfect in terms of ripples etc.

Bottom line this is what was available to me, but I don't think I would touch them again.