Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water review

oh dear...

I'll still have a go at the demo but the reviews online seem to vary quite a bit. love the originals so have high hopes for this, even after reading that review.
Reviews vary wildly on this one, almost as much as they did with ZombiU. Now I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near as good as that game, but I'm hoping it's a case of overly harsh WiiU reviews which wouldn't surprise me. Thankfully we have the first two chapters to play through for free so at least we should be able to gauge it ourselves without having to risk our hard earned money to find out.

weaponx031277

Picked my copy up on Saturday. Its a beautiful set but again its been spoiled by that bloody massive German ratings sticker. Even my missus commented on it saying how it spoilt it.

Not had chance to play it yet and looking at the week ahead i don't think im going to get much chance :thumbsdow.

Mixed reviews but id take the Eurogamer review with a pinch of salt. After all they gave the Halo MCC a 9 out of 10 even though it was a broken mess.

Tooms

Had a go at it Saturday night (had to right??) played the first "drop", not sure I get it. The game looks lovely, nice and dark and broody, and did the fight mechanics, which seemed odd. Will keep going with the demo to see if it clicks !!

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Well at least my GAME order appears to have not been lost, seems they tried to deliver it yesterday but my business address and don't open on Mondays, so had to reschedule it for Wednesday. Ah well, gives me time to try the demo which I forgot all about.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
My copy arrived safe and sound today, still haven't got around to playing the demo yet.

How is everyone getting on with this so far, thoughts on the demo/ full game from those that have played it?

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
I played through the prologue over the weekend, it's nice looking and incredibly atmospheric. I'm too much of a wuss to play through on my own so I'm waiting for my gaming buddies to pop over for a group session.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
I played through the prologue over the weekend, it's nice looking and incredibly atmospheric. I'm too much of a wuss to play through on my own so I'm waiting for my gaming buddies to pop over for a group session with the lights off.
:thumbsup:

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
My copy arrived safe and sound today, still haven't got around to playing the demo yet.

How is everyone getting on with this so far, thoughts on the demo/ full game from those that have played it?
Not sure Lee - atmosphere is definitely there but I'm finding it all a bit fiddly/cumbersome if I'm honest.

I'll have another blast tonight and see what happens.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Not sure Lee - atmosphere is definitely there but I'm finding it all a bit fiddly/cumbersome if I'm honest.

I'll have another blast tonight and see what happens.
Just played the prologue and first chapter and very much share your thoughts above so far. Not impressed atm to be honest, not scary (maybe I've played too many horrors) controls feel unweildy and and usual I find the gamepad confusing as can't decide to look at the screen or the gamepad screen. Don't know why but taking the photos I always seem to end having to point the gamepad at a really awkward angle like at the floor, it's like the gyro goes out of sync or something.

Will play the second free chapter and decide then if I keep the actual game or return it. Initial thoughts are the 50 notes could be better spent elsewhere for me.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Quick update, played the second chapter and really wasn't enjoying it so returned the physical game today.

Shame, was really looking forward to this but I found the controls frustrating, camera awkward, and the slow pace(especially things like reaching for objects and opening doors etc.) annoying. Certainly not for me :(

Was really thankful for the demo on this occasion, if only all games would have one.

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
Yeah the Project Zero series has some quirks that can put people off. The only thing I miss controls-wise is the option to do a quick 180 degree turn which was in the first game but removed from all the later titles for some reason. Other than that I actually like the slower pace, it enhances the atmosphere for me.

I played it for a good few hours with friends on Saturday and it got the thumbs up from us. Really creepy, nice looking and quite tough. The GamePad is used well too - the screen shows the camera viewpoint and highlights any weak spots on the ghosts. You can tilt the pad to get a better shot too which is a nice touch. I can imagine it being a bit overwhelming looking at the pad and TV though, so get a wingman to keep an eye out for other ghosts on the telly if you can.

We passed the controller round every half an hour or so so everyone got a chance in the the hot seat. A couple wimped out before their shift ended and had to do shots as punishment, I'm proud to say I stuck with it even though my turn had three boss fights one after another. Next Project Zero sesh is in the diary for January!

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
We passed the controller round every half an hour or so so everyone got a chance in the the hot seat. A couple wimped out before their shift ended and had to do shots as punishment, I'm proud to say I stuck with it even though my turn had three boss fights one after another. Next Project Zero sesh is in the diary for January!
Haha, now this sounds like a fun way to play the game. The last game to genuinely scare the bejesus out of me was actually just a demo, PT(the ill fated Silent Hills game) on the PS4. I even struggled to restart it a couple of times after being killed, bloody terrifying!

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
It's a great co-op experience, even my missus joined in watching us play it. Funny thing was, we turned off all the lights, fired up the game and the second the first cutscene ended and it all went quiet a gust of wind howled through the window. Freaked a few of us out! Couldn't have timed it better :)

gwyper

Does anyone know where I could pick a physical copy up for a decent price?

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Gwyper im in Nottingham Friday. There quite a few shops there that might have it if i see it. What sort of price you looking at paying?
Not sure if you're aware, but the physical release was a GAME exclusive for the UK highstreet.

gwyper

Just want to pay RRP really...

gwyper

Anyone got a clue on how to source this from Australia? Any big major retailers ship worldwide from there?

gwyper

Managed to get a physical copy and have started to make my way into it.

Now on the Eight Drop and must say this is made for the Wii U. It's paced quite well to make good use of the Wii U Gamepad. Enjoying just working my way through it slowly. Shame this is so hard to come by as a physical copy, but the eShop teaser is a good idea.

gwyper

Have been thinking about the Wii U deluxe releases and this one in particular. As a collector, I'm not up for duplication but really hope this title isn't touched.

I do hope another PZ comes out on Switch, but given the dual display with the Wii U gamepad and the TV, the Switch experience would not be able to match that as it can't have the two at once.