Project Win 10 laptop screen to TV

oxonjeff

I'm trying to get my Dell laptop screen to wirelessly project onto my 8000 series Samsung, but although i get the " connected " sign on the laptop, all i can see on my TV is the mouse pointer.
The screen is black/blank, with just a white pointer that i can shift around, but no picture.

On my previous 5 series Samsung, this worked fine, so i'm guessing the TV is the problem somewhere.

Can anyone help .. ? Thanks

oxonjeff

Blimey guv.​
While waiting to see if anyone had any ideas, i decided to call Samsung Tech Support.​
What a faff - if you think you ever need them, dont bother.​
Anyways, i could barely understand the guy from Samsung TS, but basically he said i need an HDMI cable to connect PC to TV for screen mirroring.​
So, it seems Samsung has gone backwards in technology. My 5000 series previous Samsung would connect wirelessly in seconds. This 8000 series needs a cable.​
Well done Samsung​

next010

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately windows relies on miracast for screen mirroring with no GUI settings, it works or it doesn't and various implementations of miracast can have issues.

You could run Dell's own driver assistant program and ensure everything is up to date (GPU and WiFI) in the hope that somehow corrects for whatever the TV is requiring.

If you have anything that has Chromecast or Airplay support a far better solution is Airparrot for sending the desktop to the display via wireless, it doesn't support miracast.

cuke2u

Instead of using dell display drivers, or win10's own, you might wish to try the grx card manufacturer's own drivers..

oxonjeff

Unfortunately windows relies on miracast for screen mirroring with no GUI settings, it works or it doesn't and various implementations of miracast can have issues.

You could run Dell's own driver assistant program and ensure everything is up to date (GPU and WiFI) in the hope that somehow corrects for whatever the TV is requiring.

If you have anything that has Chromecast or Airplay support a far better solution is Airparrot for sending the desktop to the display via wireless, it doesn't support miracast.

Thanks , i'll try Dell's driver assist, as i dont have anything with Chromcast or Airplay

oxonjeff

I checked drivers for Miracast, and it seems i have the " best " already installed

And the same for my AMD Radeon R9 M375X card.

DEll Assistant , there appears to be a later version so installing this, and see if this helps

cuke2u

Yeah just checked myself and the drivers went into legacy support with the last driver update 6/21/2021.
The only other drivers you might check is the chipset drivers..

oxonjeff

Whoa !

After all the faffing about, i tried again and we have projection. I made a few actions since yesterday so which action sorted it, i dont know. Maybe it was a combination of actions.

But job done, and thanks to you people here for helping out :beer:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom